Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:39:49 AM

Author Topic: DRO reads in Centimeters  (Read 2281 times)

DRO reads in Centimeters
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
My native units are set to milimeters but the DRO readout is in centimeters, Is there a way to change this as it is confusing?
Re: DRO reads in Centimeters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
I`m just setting up my 1st cnc mill - bought 2nd hand off of fleabay(big mistake) a few years back and it has stood while I was busy on other projects. I have fitted a water cooled 2.2kw spindle some nema 23 steppers and a gecko g540. I`m using mach 3 trial while I get it up and running, I hope I`m sorted before the trail runs out  :D
Another problem I have is that the machine home is top right on the table instead of bottom left, any hints on how to remedy this?
thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:18:47 PM »
hmm I just realised that the read out IS in mm, I measured the travel of the cutter and it measured the same in cm that the dro showed in mm - can i assume that the steps per mm on the motor tuning needs altering?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
If you send in a copy of your .xml file for the profile that you are running to us at Machsupport we can take a look at the steps per and work with you to get it so that it moves accurately and follows right hand rule. Best regards Jim.

http://support.machsupport.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:29:33 PM »
If the difference is truly mm to cm, you should just be able to go in and add a zero to your steps per. I.E. if your setting is 200 change it to 2000.
Isn't Metric supposed to be easy?????
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
If you send in a copy of your .xml file for the profile that you are running to us at Machsupport we can take a look at the steps per and work with you to get it so that it moves accurately and follows right hand rule. Best regards Jim.

http://support.machsupport.com/
I will do Jim thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »
If the difference is truly mm to cm, you should just be able to go in and add a zero to your steps per. I.E. if your setting is 200 change it to 2000.
originally - the cutter would travel 24cm for 24 on the dro which is why I assumed it was in cm. the steps per was set at 2000 so required amending to 200. the dro works accurately now(I think) but the cutter is painfully slow to travel.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
On the stepper driver what model and what are the dip switches set to? That will determine what you are micro stepping. Send me in an .xml and some pics of what your running and I can take a look, best regards Jim
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 02:59:14 AM »
 ???
It wasn`t metric`s fault, it was my lack of understanding of cnc machining, mach 3, the driver, the protcols, the meaning of life, Uncle Tom Cobley and all :-[
It was all irrelevant though as I scrapped the fleabay machine as it wasn`t up to the job, an expensive mistake but  it can`t be undone. I salvaged everything of value from it and bought an Ox mechanical kit, which I`m setting up atm.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 05:58:24 AM »
Here is hoping things go better for you in the future.
Let usknow how the OX works out for you.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.