Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:19:01 AM

Author Topic: mach 4 upgrade and THC  (Read 7052 times)

mach 4 upgrade and THC
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »
For torch height          the digitize input you have using P11 input 3    can I wire the switch on my floating head to this input  I don’t have a ohmic  probe
Maybe  in the future  I might add it  is there another input I should use for the floating head  or use the one above  I using a Volex z

O I do have one other question  I just did a firmware and upgrade to the plugin to the new one   because I could not get the home buttons to work using my stepper motors
Should I upgrade to the new Mach 4 v2  since I am still building the machine  and no real major settings to deal with it  or leave it alone 

Also when the arch pro plasma file wont down load from the website is there a problem   its some pof file 
 last one I down loaded was march 2017  it was fine it had the folders 

Thanks Jeff coldon
Re: mach 4 upgrade and THC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »
  well yesterday I upgraded to the Mach 4 3481 and the plasma file vital system sent me now nothing works I can’t home it won’t draw any object it does jog fine it will home using the small buttons on the test pageone at a time. but that's it the home all says no motor response. I loaded all the latest firm ware and plugin and arch pro 1.14 and was told by tch support were good to Mach 4 version 3534 and below.  well it did home with an older version of Mach 4  and arch pro. now I can’t go back there no older version to down load of mach.   this is becoming  a mess  I know everything is wired right because it worked  the other problem I have is when you load
A part I can never put it where I want it on the screen so it can’t always trace something because it’s past the stops so that's why I figured update all the soft were and firmware in the integra
I’m starting to think Mach 4 has a lot of problems and that's why a lot of companies are going Linux  I really wanted to make this work  so I hope vial systems can help fix this   since it’s a new build I do have the option to scrap the electronics and Mach 4

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
I’m starting to think Mach 4 has a lot of problems and that's why a lot of companies are going Linux  I really wanted to make this work  so I hope vial systems can help fix this   since it’s a new build I do have the option to scrap the electronics and Mach 4

I think you would be in a much worse situation with LinuxCNC.

You can get full email support from the Artsoft Mach4 team to resolve any problems that you may be having. A quote from the Mach4 thread...

" We created the ticketing system and have added staff here at Artsoft specifically to work with hobby users. Our tech support team responds to and works with hobby users every day. Tuesday morning alone of this week I assisted 3 users in getting their machines up and running with Mach4 and a compatible motion controller right out of the box. No custom scripting required. In fact we have profiles for the common 3020 6040 table top CNC machines that we share with users and literally they are up and running within 20-30 minutes depending on their ability and knowledge. 

We created the help desk to better track and ensure that tickets are responded to and users are helped. Some folks do not want to post publicly what they have for questions, and to be honest I don't think that you would want to read 10 posts a day about how to license the software or what OS the software can run on.   Some users when they get answers post them on the forums some do not. We have kept the forums open for those that want to share publicly what they are doing or working on and that is the individuals choice to make and we respect that choice. We are providing support options for users in addition to forums rather then instead of the forums and in the end its the comfort level and choice of the end user. We will continue to add how to videos to our youtube channel so if there are specific things that you would like to see please let us know! Best regards, Jim. "

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
A part I can never put it where I want it on the screen so it can’t always trace something because it’s past the stops so that's why I figured update all the soft were and firmware in the integra

What your describing to me sounds like you need to learn how to run the software.
It appears that between the Cad, Cam, and machine homing you are not quite where you need to be.

Please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to help. I helped another member get their Plasma machine going which was running a similar setup.
It can be difficult but in the end we should be able to get it running.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »
up date  my machine is running  the main problem above was the fact that  I had to load the latest firm ware from Vital system for the hilcon  they sent me.  then I was able to do all the homing . just fine currently .
I have ben loading files and drawing things since this is a plasma.  my THC works fine my initial high sense works fine.   now im trying to figure out how to add a tool.  I figured out in tools I can add en engraver put in off sets.  what id like is a button to push to make it go to that tool  and figure out how to use it  I know thers a g code in sheet cam for the engraver function  just not sure how to make it work
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:24:13 AM »
You could also setup a separate profile for the engraver and use the mill or router screen set. It might be easier.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
I thought about that but then if it was just engraver it would but if it’s a part that has to be cut and engraved in sheet cam. then I have to re zero everything set up it might be off if not aligned                        there a built in engraver in Mach 4 that works good simple words I know this can be done Mach motion has drills and engraver  there are 10 tools you can do in the mill setup right now and can add more
I will figure it out i keep messing with it                                                                     
I just figured out a joystick setup how to wire the jog inputs and make buttons for outputs
Thanks Jeff c
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 07:23:10 PM »
im happy to report  my vital system hilcon controller and arch pro plasma screen can now change tools . with the m6 command  thanks to  Cbyrdtopper  who did the code  I will say I learned a lot
of how things work in mach 4    now when activating a code in sheet cam my  x y z now responds to the tool offset triggers an out put  and has a button for over ride
and works fine   now I have the ability to have 99 tools  don't need that many in plasma lol 
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
hey whats up guys!....im thinking of getting that vital systems thc screen and getting a proma thc....ive been cutting out a few things on my homemade plasma cutter and its pretty awesome but there are inconsistencies as it travels when cutting much bigger parts. if i buy that screen does it make changes in z height in real time? does it work well with mach 4 and do i need anything else other than downloading and buying? i put all of my electronic together inside my controller box completely on my own, i have a warp 9 smoothstepper, c11g b.o.b, and a toroidal power supply in there. thank you for your input.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »
Hi,

i have a warp 9 smoothstepper
The HiCon board of VitalSystems supports THC if you purchase the required activation but the ESS of Warp9's does not (as yet) support THC.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'