Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:17:27 AM

Poll

If you were to start a new build today which would you choose?

Campbell design Combo board
0 (0%)
Gecko Drive GRex G101
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Campbell combo vs Gecko Grex  (Read 7040 times)

Campbell combo vs Gecko Grex
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:11:37 AM »
Hi all,
I had started a thread earlier regarding breakout boards which led me to comparring these two pieces of work.
I was wondering if there is enough experience among all of you to guide a new system build.

I'm upgrading (overhauling) my older machine. It's a stepper drive that used to run off maxnc firmware/software. But now have Gecko G201 and will run mach3.

Re GRex: I like the ethernet comm and available feedback loop (for steppers!) in the Grex. But may be a little untried to commit to.

Re C.D. Combo: I like the tried & true reputation he seems to have in this community, also has relays and spindle feed built in.

If only I could combine the two.

So what are your thoughts?
Re: Campbell combo vs Gecko Grex
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 05:17:21 AM »
I have run the PMDX boards in the past and they seemed to work good...

JIm is also doing some on his own here: http://www.candcnc.com/  looks like nice stuff
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:10:12 AM »
That would depend intirely on what YOU want out of your machine at the present. If you want to be immediately productive with tons of help available. Go with Mach 3 and your choice of hardware to set it up. All the major players have spent unknown numbers of hours ironing out the problems with their products as well as providing support to Mach users. Also there is a HUGE user network that volunteers to help on a daily bases

On the other hand, if you are adventurous and want to live on the leading edge of technology then jump on the Mach 4 Grex setup. Now because Mach4/ G100 is just getting started with development don't complain too loudly when things don't work YET or there is no one that can help you with a problem because there fewer people working in your type system.

(;-) either way there will be help available.   Terry
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
OK, I'm glad I posted this question because I was unaware that the two boards required different versions of Mach sfwr.
Am I correct in this? If so, as vmax has suggested, I think the answer is already here for me. I'm not so sure I want to be
on the cutting edge of both software AND hardware. I'm not worried about figuring out implementation of new gear. But I am
worried about putting the gear together without incident. My electronics is pretty basic, and not sure if I could troubleshoot
on my own.
This is why my last post was specifically about the inherent problems using other boards.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. It would be interesting to see this poll develop, but I see how it may be polarizing, my apologies.

vmax549

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:01:10 PM »
The nice part is that you can get up and running with Mach3/combo and when you and Mach4 are ready you can simple upgrade the software and add in the Grex and Boogie. That Art ,he's a smart cookie aint he??
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 01:06:43 AM »
Yeah, to clear things up in my head, I emailed Art today over this topic, and found out that as much as the grex is
ready hardware, Mach4 is not quite ready to ship.

In my other thread I haven't seen any real concern over the CNC4PC board. So with this info, I'm thinking of just installing
my current hardware ie: CNC4PC bidirectional breakout board until the GRex/Mach4 couple is ready.

Any pearls of wisdome regarding the CNC4PC board?