Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:01:19 AM

Author Topic: crash on starting edit mode  (Read 2300 times)

crash on starting edit mode
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »
Hi,

I haven't run m4 for long time. As I noticed a new release, I thought give it a try ...
First problem was an unfinished lua panel - wich I removed completely.

Now m4 starts without errors, but as soon as I enter screen edit mode, it crashes.
I have several crash reports, but I don't see any hint, where I should look for an error.

best regards

Reinhard

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
Re: crash on starting edit mode
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:54:48 AM »
Out of curiosity what version of windows are you running??

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:02:41 AM »
Hi,

as you already might have guessed - a very dead copy of XP with latest patch (published after funeral) applied.
And before you ask: no, I will not buy another windows variant. All my machines are running linux, so I don't want and don't need windows.

Reinhard
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »
Hi,
but you want Windows software to run?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
Reinhard,  please let us know what the people at NFS come back with after you send them your package.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »
Hi Craig,

but you want Windows software to run?
If there would exists a linux solution, I won't even look at windows apps.
But the only linux solution that hits the same direction than m4 is linuxcnc, wich I consider slow and ugly. It has nothing attractive, not in theory and not in practice. So its not an option for me.

I appreciate m4 and I like the huge bunch of possibilities, to extend m4 to special needs.
So as long as m4 would run on my dead box, it is an option. When I have to buy another windows license, m4 is out.

So, when I heard about the possibility of m4 for linux - I was excited! And I would do (nearly) anything, to help m4 for linux become success. But for that, an testing-environment has to be created. I'm willing to participate!

Reinhard
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:18 AM »
Hi,

out of curiosity I reinstalled 3390 and it worked fine. Enter edit-mode and terminating m4 - without problems.
Then I tried 3485 - no problems here too.
Ok, back with 3633 - enter edit mode -> crash.

Reinhard
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
@rhtuttle
Looks like my xp is missing some dll's
My screen works fine with newer windows versions.

Reinhard
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:11:28 PM »
Hi Reinhard,
you obviously consider Windows as at best a necessary evil and refuse to get a later version than XP. Given that Mach4 is Windows software
(at least at this time) then expecting it to run without a later Windows release is a matter of YOUR intransigence not Microsofts OR Artsoft's.

Equally clearly you are very computer savvy and have no doubt that you can extract the utmost from Linux. Why bother with Mach4, I understand
Liniux CNC is very capable and given that it is open source any required functionality could be programmed into it.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:04:52 AM »
Hi Craig,

then expecting it to run without a later Windows release is a matter of YOUR intransigence not Microsofts OR Artsoft's.
I did not blame anybody for my paranoia!

you obviously consider Windows as at best a necessary evil and refuse to get a later version than XP.
No, that rule of abstraction does not fit.
I don't install anything, that requires internet access during installation - no matter what it is.
Afaik there's no offline-installer for windows after release 8 and as I don't have any other apps, requiring windows, I did not buy another windows version for years.
To check compatibility of my own apps, I run windows demo in VM - I install it, when I need it and remove it, when I'm done.

Equally clearly you are very computer savvy and have no doubt that you can extract the utmost from Linux.
Don't know, on what base you state the first sentence.
I'm just a linux user. Compared to windows, I need to care less for linux, than for windows. I need less OS-skills and less administration time. In other words, I don't need to spend time for administration.
I took me some years to find the right distribution for me (for me its safety and stability first), but since 05 I use debian stable and since then, I never had to care for OS - so I can use the workstation at my will.

Why bother with Mach4, I understand Liniux CNC is very capable and given that it is open source any required functionality could be programmed into it.
linuxCNC may be considered capable an powerfull until you try to code something for it. linuxCNC is the best sample on how not to do things. Its a crap, its ugly and many things are performed twice or even more - so it is very slow too.
After few weeks I did not want to bother any longer and removed the local copy of linuxCNC.
... and what distract me most: there's no help on "real" questions.
So no - not my way!

Reinhard