Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:09:43 AM

Author Topic: 5 axis Spinning Lathe: machine and control panel in progress  (Read 30330 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 5 axis Spinning Lathe: machine and control panel in progress
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »
Thanks for the Support and kind words,
I do appologize for losing my temper over a stupid thing, it just hit me wrong.

scott
fun times

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
Mr. Russel of Russels metal spinning sent me a new vidio to post, it shows some better higher quality action shots, and he throws some cudos my way.......hehehehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3loBOieUrjA
Scott
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:04:00 PM by poppabear »
fun times
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 11:24:22 PM »
Way to go Scott,
But.........where is it ?
RC
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 01:10:18 AM »
Interesting how things work out.

Here is a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3loBOieUrjA

Scott, what does a machine like that cost at the store?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:12:44 AM by DennisCNC »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
The control system was about 15k total, most of that taken up by the 5 ADC drives/servos (around 1500 per axis).

Russle said, at the Mach3 Convention SE that when all was said and done he had about 60k, since he spend ALOT on Labor, and since it was an R & D project there was alot of bug chasing both mechanically, electrically, and Motor tuning. He had bad power issues up there, I built the system for single phaze 200v power, but when I got to the site, it had Tripple Phaze and the 3rd leg was a Phantom leg, and the biggest issue was his power was NOT stable it would range from 190-243V. This played hell on the Geckos (3 or them for the minor axis, and thus they had to be upgraded to 3 ADC's since they can handle a much wider range, plus 3 phaze).

Now that he knows what he wants in a Machine, he is building a second one that has all the Mechanical changes and Upgrades, he thinks he could build another for around 30-40K.

scott
fun times
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »
can't get a better endorsement I would say

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
6 axis Spinning Lathe: machine and control panel in progress
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »
Russel of Russels metal spinning contacted me to make a Six Axis jog learn spinning lathe, so I upgraded the Plug in to 6 Axis Jog-Learn then put a way to add in Custom Macros into
the Jog learn system. These Two Macros for this machine Apply/Release an Axis Brake one on each the A and B axis.

The 6th axis will be for a Part Trimmer or a Powered Tail Stock, he hasnt decided yet. But he now has 2 of the 5 axis Jog-learn machine making him some cash.

He will get to the physical build of the machine, in a few months, I will post of pics of the machine/control when he gets it done.

Screen shots of the screen set below:

This screen and plug in will be controlling his THIRD Jog Learn spinning machine!! 

Scott
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:58:11 AM by poppabear »
fun times

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »
Scott,
Impressive to say the least. Glad you got some PR out it. Just shows what can be done if you know what your doing.
RICH
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »
This is fantastic work. Spinning is not an easy thing to do and it's far less obvious how it works than milling or turning.

We make parabolic antenna reflectors using a variety of lathes, including this one:

it actually used to be a hydraulic copy lathe but it was stripped out and used for hand spinning. it'll swing a 2.4 metre tool weighing 3 tons. We have a bigger one that will swing nearly 4 metres.

My thinking is that retrofitting hand-spinning lathes or scratchbuilding new ones may work well in terms of economy and results, considering that a new one from Leifeld would cost around £800,000.  Perhaps a large, surplus lathe bed would make a good cross slide?

Any news on how this project is progressing?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 12:16:39 AM »
Last I heard from him, he has Two five axis spinners, and one 6 axis spinner, all 3 machines are custom ground up builds.  His main products are the large AL light reflectorss you see hanging in the Walmarts, Home Depots, Lowes, etc. that have those huge a$$ed halogen bulbs in them.  He does some smaller light reflectors for smaller stuff also.
the best I can tell most if not all of his biz, is making reflectors. He like the jog learn, since it records his moves (he is a master manual spinner), and then he gets some monkey to stand in his place and load the blank and push the button over and over again for replay all day........   hehehee

He has one medium-large sized standard Mazak Lathe he was considering retrofitting to spinning, but, his own custom build stuff work so much better.

here is the Youtube of his 5 axis spinner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3loBOieUrjA&feature=channel

scott
fun times