Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:56:43 AM

Author Topic: Best way to connect a pendant to pc ?  (Read 4550 times)

Offline PerE

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Best way to connect a pendant to pc ?
« on: July 06, 2007, 04:49:51 AM »
Hi all.
I have started to build an pendant and what ports are best for keygrabber, PS2 or USB ?
My MPG is connected to the parallel port but the rest must go thru keygrabber.
Best regards.
Per
Re: Best way to connect a pendant to pc ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:46:31 PM »
I use a Genovation keypad. Its got 24 keys, can be programed to send any keystroke. The caps are removeable so youp rint a legend sheet, cut it up, and put a piece under each cap. That makes the labels very permanent. I got one off ebay for about $50, new they are under $100.

There is also one called Xkeys, about the same price, but it uses a special driver that remaps the keystrokes. I bought one, by mistake, I intended to get another genovation, but it works ok for me.

I use one on a router and one on a mill. I like them a lot

ron

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »
ROn the x-keys ps2 model works in the same manner, no driver needed. The nice thing about the x-keys is you can buy the components to build your own pendant or touch panel. You can buy the board, switches,diodes, all from one spot. Not bad prices either. The board will support 2 layers of 95 switches total.

And no scripting in VB to make it work. You just have to assign hot keys to the functions you need.

Just another gadget for us to play / work with.

I wonder just how many buttons there are in a Mach screen set?

(;-) TP

Offline PerE

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 11:53:55 AM »
Thank you for your replies. I got in the right direktion now  ;)
Per
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »
I have an Xkeys USB model. My Genovation is ps2. The USB driver does work with Mach, I have not seen any trouble, but Im always nervous with extra drivers and wonder if the next Mach version will croak.

I was able to get a 24 key layout that does everything I need to run the mill. All the jog functions, Start, Run, etc. Its very nice on my router, the cable is long enough to move the pad to wherever Im setting a tool.

I did modify the mach screens to put the jog control stuff on the top screen- I kept loosing track of jog increment, and that leads to bad surprises.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:07:46 PM »
I now have a MPG and would not trade it for anything, but I had a $15.00 gamepad at first (and still use) that I like a lot. This is a link to the thread about it.

http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?topic=1391.0

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline PerE

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 04:40:05 AM »
So that means that i cant hacking a keyboard to use it with keygrabber. I was planning to switch my keyboard to USB and then use an old PS2 keyboard with keygrabber.
Per