Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:04:47 AM

Author Topic: What is the purpose of Motor35 in the ini fie?  (Read 1662 times)

What is the purpose of Motor35 in the ini fie?
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
There are several motors near the end of the ini profile that are all enabled, including motor35. When I am logging diagnostic data I  see messages about motor35 along with messages for my  X, Y, and Z motors?

Should these motors be enabled?
What is the purpose of these motors?

Thanks
Re: What is the purpose of Motor35 in the ini fie?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi,
as a result of your post I too had a closer look at the ini file and found entries for motor 32-44.

Using wx4.set and either Sim or ESS as plugin there is no way I can access those motors. My guess is that they exist within Machs core but have never
been included in any of the current plugins.

Consider that there are signals defined, for instance Motor21++, and Motor21-- but no such thing as motor21 is available to us....yet
To my knowledge Mach offer six axes of co-ordinated motion and six unco-ordinated or out of band axes. You could have multiple
motors assigned to one axis but in essence that is still only 12 motors. Yet Mach is provided with complete signal suites up to 32 motors
and your discovery suggests even more. I presume that all those extra motors represent potential expansion.

You may have seen that the top model controllers from Siemens and Fanuc offer 40 and 28 co-ordinated axes. I can't really envisage a machine
that would require that many motors. I imagine they would find application in a factory environment where a machine is extended over a number
of sub-processors all of which contribute to 'one machine process', semiconductor manufacturing maybe.

Craig

'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
Craig, All
I am thinking that disabling all of these motors probably won't hurt.
It is very curious that somehow motor35 comes up in some of the messages in the message log.
Thanks
Chuck

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:53:01 AM »
Motors after 32 are dummy motors that are assigned to an axis if no motor (0-31) are assigned to them. 

Steve