Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:07:43 PM

Author Topic: Need Help With DMC-17x0 and ICM-1900 output wiring  (Read 4881 times)

Need Help With DMC-17x0 and ICM-1900 output wiring
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
Ok I have everything working so far, minus one Mitsu drive, and getting the outputs to work. I have 2 Aries drives working, all my limits and homes are working fine. My issue now is getting outputs to work, or do anything. I have the standard, non isolated version of the board, the bare ICM-1900. There are no chips in the "isolated" section. Seems like all outputs are sunk to ground, no matter what I try. Ive tried hooking up LEDS, my meter, pulling them high and low, nothing. Is there a jumper that needs to be installed? This is driving me nuts. I have Outputs set to pins 41 and up, per the PDF on here on setting up pins, port 1, and ive tried active low and high to no avail. Heres a pic of my board.

Re: Need Help With DMC-17x0 and ICM-1900 output wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:02:16 AM »
Can't see your pic but will try my best to help:

- There's no jumper for the non isolated output. (Those a TTL).
- I strongly suggest that you first try turning the output on/off with the Galil software, either with the graphic interface (I use Galil tools) or with the  SB, CB, OB and OP command. This way you will bypass Mach3 which will make it easier to debug your setup.
- If this doesn't work there may be something wrong with your controller card.
- In mach3 make sure you've set the "output Signal" tab in "Ports and Pins". Port should be set to #1.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:07:58 AM »
Grandpa,

This is a DMC-1740, ISA card, GalilTools wont connect to it. I can only use the DMC Smart Terminal, so I can see all the input states, but cant actually turn outputs on or off. Ive put my scope on the outputs and theres never a change of state, but maybe thats since theres no load current? IDK im hoping to find someone with another 1900 board that has gotten it working before and can show me some examples. Ive set all the ports and pins per the Galil Plugin guide on Machsupport and everything else works fine, the machine homes, limits work, the DRO is accurate and it moves in X and Y nicely. Just needs to get an output or 2 working. Thought about using the enable port if worse came to worse.

Im dealing right now with trying to get my last drive, a Mitsu MR-J3-20A to talk to the 1900. No matter what mode the drive is in, i cant get it to do anything. I can move the motor by hand and the DRO updates, but thats it. about to throw this Mitsu crap away and get another aries drive....
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 03:31:59 AM »
Ive messed with this to no end. I think theres a setting on the card that im missing. The outputs wont change state, they are just stuck at 5V all the time. I swapped from a 1755 (1760) card to a 1740 since the other card is going in another machine, and i swapped all the jumpers but nothing. Can I run a PP breakout on port 2 to give me triggers?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:18:29 AM »
ok im a dummy, had my wiring mixed up. had inputs 1-4 and outputs 1-4 crossed at my breakout point. DERRRRRRRRR

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:35:15 AM »
I am sure you will not be the first (or last) person to do just this.  ;)

Good news that you found it though.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
Yep, not the first one for sure  :-[

Btw, Pokeys (57U/57E) are great for that kind of thing if you ever run out of inputs/outputs.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
Grandpa,

Im dealing right now with trying to get my last drive, a Mitsu MR-J3-20A to talk to the 1900. No matter what mode the drive is in, i cant get it to do anything. I can move the motor by hand and the DRO updates, but thats it. about to throw this Mitsu crap away and get another aries drive....

Again, best way is always to isolate the part you're working on. First test the drive alone with the servo motor, maybe with its software if there's one. If the drive can run the motor this way THEN connect to the Galil board. Also, the Ultra300 drives from Allen Bradley are working very well with many brands of servo motor. I've used them with some Tamagawa servo motor. Both are often found dirt cheap on e-Bay. (400W combo for less than $100 !!!)

I'm not familiar with Mitsubishi drive but the typical, drive enable input ant other similar should be checked first, but you certainly know that by now.

Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 02:29:30 AM »
it was a fairly dumb overlook on my part. i have DIN rail mounted terminal blocks, and have the one rail for the servo connections the the rest for IO. but its arranged from left to right as latch XYZW, Output 1-8, the Home/Limits. I kept thinking that the Latch inputs were output 1-4 for some reason, which is why they werent changing states, as they are a pulled high input. This is just a simple plasma table to outputs are just for the torch, running light and a reversed state for a error light.

Also, after talking to Mitsubishi tech support, there were some other inputs I had to deal with on the MR drives, seems that the internal stroke limits need to be pulled low even if they are disabled, and SOL (servo on) and EMG needs to be wired a certain way. I finally got it all working!! now i just gotta get my tuning done and start cutting.

Those Pokeys will come in handy for my other machine! I know the Galil plugin disables the PP driver so thats a good solution. Next project is turn my old 3 axis stepper mill into a 5 axis servo drive setup.

Thanks for the input guys!