Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:35:07 PM

Author Topic: moving mach3  (Read 2250 times)

moving mach3
« on: November 26, 2017, 10:44:51 PM »
1.need to change computer, tried moving mach3 to flash drive, machining files are there but when loaded, they are loaded up in bobcad as different kind of file,, just the nc screen with g-code?  what did i not do?
2. as i understand a 64 bit computer and mach 3 are incompatible and requires a separate board run out of usb port,is the problem because many of them dont have a printer port? i have an old 64 bit that has printer port, is this viable?

thanks
Re: moving mach3
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:57:31 AM »
Hi,
2) No. Machs parallel port is very much more than just the DB25 socket, it is also the software that generates the required pulse streams for the motors.
A 64 bit OS cannot do this, it requires a 32 bit OS Windows7 or earlier. Note that Mach will run fine on just about any Windows PC from XP onwards but
NOT the parallel port.

There are many external motion controllers that will do the job, some connected to the PC by USB and others by Ethernet with Ethernet being quicker and lower
latency preferred. Not a lot in it, both USB and Ethernet work fine.

As far as shifting Mach3, I wouldn't bother. Download and install a fresh copy. The only stuff you need from the old files are your .xml profiles and your
lic.dat file. Any macros and brains should also be transferred. If you are using a 64bit  PC don't try to install the printer port...it will fail.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:44:44 AM »
thanks joe, i appreciate the info,, 1 more if you dont mind,, i havent been able to locate those files in my current mach3, im not computer savvy so i know this is the problem  (ie: xml files,,i have license on another flash drive if i cant get to it on current version))  thanks again joe
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:58:15 AM »
Hi.
if you look to the lower right of the main Mach3 page there is the current profile name.

If you use file explorer and look in the Mach3 folder on your hard drive you will find <profile_name.xml> This is the file that has all Machs settings. If you
take this file and apply it to another copy of Mach even on another machine Mach will behave indentically to how it did on your machine, nifty.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
thanks again joe,,i found the xml files but there are only 22 there? should be hundreds
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
Hi,
Hundreds??? I've got one...my own profile. I do have a few others  that I've tested out for others on the forum, but hundreds?

Craig
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
My bad  I have 1 profile. I thought my machining programs were com files. Those are what I'm looking for
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
My bad  I have 1 profile. I thought my machining programs were xml files. Those are what I'm looking for