Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:27:59 AM

Author Topic: How to rotate local coordinates system by edge finder?  (Read 2217 times)

How to rotate local coordinates system by edge finder?
« on: October 31, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »
Hi everybody.
I am really new to G-code world.
I would like to know how to rotate my X-Y table in mach3 by touching my plate at 3 points (Just like this video from 01:05- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhZdbgM6S70 ).
Actually i can stop the machine when touching 2 points of the same rotated axis (X for instance) and then calculating the Tangens of this rotation angle, but its too much math.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:36:25 AM by Itziksh »
Re: How to rotate local coordinates system by edge finder?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:02:38 PM »
Hi,
this is called CNC and inside the PC it is ALL MATH. Is it realistic that you are going to be able to avoid it altogether?

The Touch Module in Mach4 has a feature which allows a part to be logically rotated on the basis of two measurement points, the calculation is programmed,
you don't have to do it yourself.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:32:18 AM »
thanks for the answer. i know of course that everything in the CNC is math, but i dont want to do the calculation by myself.
can i get this feature for mach3 or it is only for mach4 ?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »
Hi,
to my knowledge the touch module in Mach4, which is very much like the video link you posted, is available in Mach4 only.

All development work on Mach3 ceased a couple of years ago and as a consequence missed out on this feature.

You could of course program it yourself. The probing and numerical parts probably not to bad but the visual components are rather tricky, you are dealing
with Windows graphics environment. If you didn't bother with graphical representations you could do it pretty easy.

I was never very good at Visual Basic, I decided to go straight to Lua and so never developed any skill or fluency with VB so I wouldn't be much help. If you
wanted to do it in Lua I would help, but then the touch module is already in Mach4, no need to re-invent it!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'