Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:42:13 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 with ESS locks up on Cycle Start  (Read 3910 times)

Mach 4 with ESS locks up on Cycle Start
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »
Hey everyone. I finally upgraded my whole control system. Now running an Intel NUC with a celeron 2.2g processor. 8g of ram and a 60gig SSD.

I have Installed and licensed the latest 3481 Mach 4 build
I also installed ESS plugin 193 with MB2 profile as I am running Weerasaks Mach Bob 2 board which is a very nice piece.

Im having an issue where I can load G-code, setup my tool, hit cycle start, it jumps into the first line of code then the machine just sits there. In the bottom left it displays "Do cycle start".
The DROs do not show any movement changes, machine does not move, just freezes up. I can click cycle stop, then manually jog around, cycle start, still nothing.
Heres the kicker, if I close out Mach4 and re-open it, reload the exact same g-code, hit cycle start and off it goes, doing its job.

Sometimes if I hit "Cycle Stop" mid way through, it will not allow me to re-start, other times it will.

I've also had issues upon tripping a limit switch which despite clicking axis over-ride, it will not allow me to move the axis off the switch. If I simply restart Mach4, it allows me to jog off the switch.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would attach a machine profile ect, but I'm on my work computer over an hour away from my machine.  :P
Re: Mach 4 with ESS locks up on Cycle Start
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 06:20:00 AM »
Hi,
no one is sticking their hand up....hope I don't put you wrong!

Daz has explained that Mach has two 'states' or chunks, the GUI and the Gcode interpreter. It sounds like program execution is not passing from the GUI to
the interpreter but may well do later in the session.

In the PLC script there is a bunch of code that runs only on the first pass of the script. I'm thinking that something in that code is preventing it from finishing
and not therefore passing execution control to the interpreter. Proving and finding that may be a different matter.

May I suggest running and saving a log file. It may disprove my theory but you may notice differences in the log entries between those occasions that it works
vs those occasions where it doesn't.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »
jb tech

your ESS plug in is way out of date current release is 210 but 213 works well

now I am not saying that this will sort you out but

have you tried with the default wx profile yes it will not be correct but it would eliminate your prof.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
Being as I'm using the Mach Bob 2, the newest profile he has built is for 193, I originally tried 210 and couldnt get any movement at all. I'm assuming this is due to his profile not matching up. I have contacted Weerasak to create a new profile. He said he would begin working on one.

Tonight when I get home from work, I'll see if I can just drop in the newer pluggin and see if the profile will still work. 
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:15:57 AM »
Hi,
whats wrong with creating your own profile using one of the standard screen sets, they have one advantage over others....they work. I'm happy with wx4.set

The ESS plugin set up does a lot of the donkey work, much of Machs setup is actually done at the same time as you setup the ESS.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:19:18 AM »
The MB2 profile is based off the wx6.set. Again its an intermittent issue. I dont think it has anything to do with the screen set. 
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »
Hi,
your probably right but your profile is more than just a screenset, it includes all the ESS plugin settings and
Machs settings. I understand that you imported the lot wholesale and are now dependent on some one else
to maintain your profile.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
Being as there seems to be back door settings for things like CP and and "connection OK" signals, not sure there really is a way to just set up a new profile and go blindly into the ESS plugging and try setting it up.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
Hi,
not quite sure what you mean. When I started with Mach4 and the ESS I started with a blank page. The ESS has very well developed set up features, Warp9
maintain extensive instructions and videos plus the forum. I used all to create my own profile, I won't say no trouble because there were a few stumbling blocks,
as there always is with computers.

Is there something special about the MB2 that requires a special profile? Its just a BoB and doesn't require a profile at all AFAIK.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
Hi,

back door settings for things like CP and and "connection OK" signals
if I'm not mistaken those features/indicators are part of the plugin, you don't set them or have any control over them, Warp9 put them there and there
they will stay irrespective of what you try to screw up in your profile!

Craig