Hello Guest it is October 22, 2019, 05:45:20 AM

Author Topic: Total Noob Here  (Read 4853 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Total Noob Here
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
OK...I was given a CNC machine for my b-day ( be careful what you ask for right).   It is a Bob's CNC E3.  I use F-Ingrave to convert .jpgs to g code to use with the UGS software the Bobs Arduino uses.   I got it put together and was able to convert a couple of .jpgs to g code and carve/engrave my initials and a fish (yay me).   Anyway, I have some questions regarding some things I want to try next.  I have a lot of experience with 3D printers (HS engineering and computer science instructor) but I am not sure how much of that experience will carry over.  Anyway, here are my questions (forgive their simplicity)

1.  What is the difference between engraving and carving?
2.  Since F- Engrave seems to be for carving only, what software product(s) out there are user friendly enough for me to create my own stuff?
3.  Can a CNC machine cut things out or is best served for engraving/carving?
4.  I want to carve out an entire image (say a pic of Texas)...is there an way to do that?
5.  Can you vacuum the saw dust as the CNC machine is going or should you wait until the project is done?
Re: Total Noob Here
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:43:34 PM »
1) There is no real difference between the two.
2) http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6707-List-of-CAD-CAM-Software   There are many others as well. I use Vectric
3) CNC was made for cutting things out
4) Certainly, get a JPG/BMP/many other file types file and use Inkscape to convert it to a DXF, then Convert that to gcode
5) Vacuum as fast as you can, but try not to get the vacuum nozzle caught in the cutter 
Jeremy Robert (Bob) Willson
Re: Total Noob Here
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
Thanks for the info...I just realized I didn't clarify what I meant in question 4.   I know I can carve out the shape of Texas by converting a .jpg, etc.    I am wanting to not just carve the shape (edges) but create an inset (I guess is how I would phrase it)...I want to carve out the whole state so I could insert something into it like an inlay.

I can't figure out how to do that.  All I can get it to do is carve the shape edge (if that makes any sense).

Offline ger21

  • *
  •  6,288 6,288
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Total Noob Here
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:35:52 AM »
That's normally called a pocket. Most CAM software will have a pocket function.

2010 Screenset

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software