Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:07:17 PM

Author Topic: ☆ I Need a way to contol two Axis movement with a joystick ☆  (Read 2976 times)

Hello, I am building a servo controlled gyro and would like to be able the use a two Axis joystick to control it using mach 4. I need it to work in a velocity type of fashion, where the more you move the joystick, that faster it goes.
I would also like to have a teach function like mach 3 had. So basically, I need to control motion with a  joystick and be able to replay the motion back. I will put the teach function on another post though. I am willing to pay someone to help with this. Thanks
Re: ☆ I Need a way to contol two Axis movement with a joystick ☆
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »
What do you mean “gyro”? Can you tell us more about the device? This doesn’t sound much like an appropriate task for a g-code motion controller. I can see easily doing this with just an Automation Direct BRX PLC with an analog pot joystick connected  to two analog inputs and then use the high speed outputs to drive step and direction input servos. No PC needed. The PLC would have no problem recording the motion and saving it to an SD card.

I like and use Mach 3, but I also build all kinds of automation projects and you might be able to do this with Mach 3 or 4 but it will take a heck of a lot more time to do.
Re: ☆ I Need a way to contol two Axis movement with a joystick ☆
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:58 AM »
The gyro is a  Amusement type of ride. I would like to power both the outer and inner rings with servos run through reductions. The one pictured Is the four seater version, but this one will be a single seater. We are trying to use it for research. I was only thinking of using Mach 4 because I have done several cnc projects with it on cnc machines, and I am A machinist.  A plc would be great except my plc experience is limited. If you are telling me that the joystick motion can be "mapped" stored, and replayed, then that sounds like the way to go. I have plenty of details but that's the general idea.