Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:04:45 PM

Author Topic: Pokeys 57U - Spindle Speed Control  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
Pokeys 57U - Spindle Speed Control
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:50:17 AM »
Hi,

Ive managed (after some struggling) to get my spindle to run. The issue I have however is that I seem to be limited to around 3.5V of reference voltage, irrespective of requesting full speed or not.

Not sure if its a config issue on my side or not.

How does the 57 USB board generate up to 10V with no external PSU? Can I somehow use the 10V terminal from the Chinese VFD if needed? I dont see a place to input this into the 57 U board.

Thanks
Re: Pokeys 57U - Spindle Speed Control
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:12:28 AM »
Hi,
if its an open collector type output then yes you could use the 10V from the VFD.

Can you identify the type of output you're using? PoKeys seem to have several types of output, not all will do as you want simply.
Can you post the circuit diagram associated with the pin?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:28 AM »
Thanks, ill be home tonight and will map out what I have done.

I am taking PWM from pin 17 (red wire), going into the VFD's 'up to 10V' input.

Ground from the Pokeys goes into the VFD's 0V input.

If there is a better way to do this, I'm all ears, thanks.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 06:43:41 AM »
Hi,
I can't download a manual so I can't tell what pin 17 is. Can you either post the manual or tell me what type of output it is.

Craig

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:40 AM »
Hi,
I can't download a manual so I can't tell what pin 17 is. Can you either post the manual or tell me what type of output it is.

Craig

Hi,

Its one of the PWM outputs.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
Hi Chaz,
somewhere in the manual there will be a circuit diagram of the pin.

PoKeys seem to classify them as DO5, DIO33, OCOC etc. Any of them could be used but need to find out which one is used on this pin.

Craig

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »
Hi Chaz,
somewhere in the manual there will be a circuit diagram of the pin.

PoKeys seem to classify them as DO5, DIO33, OCOC etc. Any of them could be used but need to find out which one is used on this pin.

Craig

I looked, cant find it. I did a test and set the VFD to accept 0-5V, it now goes twice as fast but still not maxing out, doesnt matter what I try.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
Hi,
I suspect that the output is open collector, so with a 5k resistor and a 10V supply you'll be fine. An email to
Pokeys Tech support probably in order, they may of course see this thread and chime in.

I wouldn't hook anything up until I were sure however.

Craig

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:02:09 AM »
So got a response early this morning. In effect, I have to build a 10V PSU setup. The board cant do it natively.

Im going to try RS485 via USB, seen that work before, so perhaps bypass the Pokeys completely for spindle reference. Pity, think the board works fairly well however this is a limitation for the board for the kinda stuff most CNC guys (and gals) need.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 03:32:26 AM »
Hi,
I've programmed my VFD to work with Modbus/RS485 in Mach4, it was a good programming/learning excerise but it offed NO
advantage over what I had been doing. I was helping someone else to program, as I say it was fun but otherwise a waste of time.

To modify what you have to work is very straight forward and MUCH MUCH easier than all that programming.

This is why I keep harping on about finding the circuit diagram for the output pin. This could be done with two pieces of wire and one 5 cent
resistor! Does that sound simple enuf. Depending on the circuit diagram you may have to add a transistor, another couple of resistors and maybe
a couple of capacitors if you want some filtering, total parts cost $2.50. If you cant or don't want to use the 10 supply on the VFD you may have to
buy a 5V-15V DC-DC converter for $10.....shock horror!

Could post a few circuit ideas if you wish. Sure would help if PoKeys would allow me to download the 57U manual or you could find that circuit
diagram.

Craig