Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:22:54 PM

Author Topic: How to use offset in mach4  (Read 5006 times)

How to use offset in mach4
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
I did follow a video How Mach3 Can Store and Recall Table Positions Using Offsets
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXbRBPO6M24&t=314s
Since I have mach4 and the layout is not the same as mach3 anymore, zero X ,y & z is not there.
I try but there is no respond when I click "Go to work zero".
what might be wrong?
is there some manual to show the detail of how to offsets tab in more detail?
thanks.
Re: How to use offset in mach4
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:51:02 AM »
Hi,
referencing your machine and setting work co-ordinate spaces, traveling to a specific location on your part are all fundamental activities of
any CNC machine. Mach4 does all these things, with slight variations no doubt from Mach3 but it does them.

Does your machine have home switches? Do you reference your machine when you start a session? When you reference your machine using 'Ref All'
or referencing individual axes as on the Machine Diagnostics page with Ref X, Ref Y or Ref Z the leading LEDs of the axes DROs go green. Do your
DRO LEDs go green?

Just below the DRO block there are four buttons 'Deref all Axes', 'Go To Work Zero', 'Machine Coordinates', 'Distance To Go'.
The 'Go to Work Zero' button does as it says...goes to the 0,0,0 coordinates of the current G54.********* workspace. It will go nowhere if G54 is not
defined. The DROs and all offsets are all very conveniently displayed in the upper right hand quadrant of the Machine Diagnostics page.

If you haven't already download this
http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Mach4%20Operation%20Manual.pdf  and happy reading...and re-reading....and re-reading!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
Hi,
very useful screen in the wx4.set is the Offsets tab, you can view/edit G54, G55, G56....or see them as a table.
The page contains functions for using edge finders, gage blocks, all in all very useful.

Craig
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
I do have home switch and limit switch on x y and Z (is on top to make sure the ball screw stop).
I always reference to zero before any job, it can go to the left lower corner and stop at the limit with the Z to the high limit. all zero nice and good on the DRO.
I can use the remember position to store any point.
then use "Return to position" to get it move there without any problem.

I am not sure The 'Go to Work Zero' button, do I need to do some setup or edit something first, it does not says...goes to the 0,0,0 coordinates of the current G54.********* workspace. It will go nowhere if G54 is not
defined.
How to I define it? and I am not sure the function of Deref all axes.?

i attach the photo of my home switch setting.
thanks.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »
Hi,
that's good, you are referencing your machine. Now jog to the corner of the part and use the 'Zero X', 'Zero Y' and 'Zero Z' buttons alongside the
DROs. That will set the work offset.

1)Reference your machine- the DROs display machine co-ords 0,0,0
2) Jog to the corner of your part 110,140,-75 say in machine co-ords
3) <zero x> <zero y> <zero z> now DROs display work co-ords 0,0,0

Note the machine still believes it as at 110,140,-75 in machine co-ords its just that you specified that location as convenient as 0,0,0 for your part.
If you look on the machine diagnostics tab you will see how Mach works out its current position. If you look on the offsets tab you will see that
Mach has stored those numbers as a set in G54 or G55 or G56....

Craig
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:10:53 PM »
Hi.
Roger put together this document, superb discussion on the 'philosophical' aspects of co-ordinate systems...well worth reading...
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,33595.0.html

Craig