Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:34:28 PM

Author Topic: Alternat way to setup tool probe mach3  (Read 2220 times)

Alternat way to setup tool probe mach3
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
My board dose not respond to touch prob pins.  Is there another way to bypas problem with board to get tool probe working?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Alternat way to setup tool probe mach3
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »
Not likely.
What board are you using?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
SainSmart 4 Axis Mach3 USB CNC Motion Controller Card Interface Breakout Board
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:55:12 AM »
Hi,
probing is a feature which in large measure is enacted by the motion controller and its plugin. I'm sorry but I don't think your controller
has the facility.

A G31 probe command operates something like this: Read G31 command G31 Z-1,for instance, Mach issues a move to the controller move to Z=-1 inch at
the current X Y co-ords, the controller issues pulses such that the Z axis drives downwards, the controller detects a probe strike and aborts the remainder
of the move, the controller reports back to Mach its current X Y and Z co-ords. The reported Z co-ord is the probe result.

If you used some other means the machine will try to complete the current move (Z goes down to -1) before it will detect or act on a probe strike signal and
drive the probe into the workpiece. Even if you could devise some way of having a probe strike signal issue a feedhold type command the latency of Mach
would cause the probe to continue downward sufficiently, to if not break it, certainly to far to be called accurate.

If you can't persuade the manufacturer of your board to invest in updating the plugin then buy another board from someone who has, there are some very
good suppliers who have sophisticated plugins and  are almost continuously updated.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
Hi,
I see in the advertising for the Sain Smart board you get a free tee-shirt when you buy...can't be all bad!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
Thanks for your time Craig.