Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:47:05 PM

Author Topic: KX1 with Mach3 not talking to computer  (Read 4511 times)

KX1 with Mach3 not talking to computer
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
Hello
We have a KX1 with Mach3.
Have taken advise from Tweakie.cnc Downloaded and installed Mach3 and extract file from Mach3.xml and attached zip folder. All the motor and ports & pin file is there.
Now when we try to contact the mill through key board to move X Y Z there is only a chick noise from mill and no movement.
Does any one know what may be wrong?
Cheers
Aussie John
Re: KX1 with Mach3 not talking to computer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
Hi,
when you jog backwards and forwards do Machs DROs go up and down?

Can you run DriverTest.exe and post a screen shot?

These are a couple of basic Mach tests...the first one proves that Machs core software is working and enabled and the second proves that Mach can
signal the parallel port driver and produce the required pulse streams.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
Hello Joeaverage. Craig
Thanks for your response.
The Dro move when use key board.
The mach test is saying Pulsing to fast and there is no lines on the screen. Blank
 Cheers John
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:07 PM »
Craig
I have removed the spindle cover, do I have to turn off any pin or some things?
Cheers John
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:49:53 PM »
Craig
went back out to the mill and the test is now over and it is saying System Excellent.
Sorry I don't no how to post a screen shot.
Cheers John
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »
Hi John,
may pay to run that test again. It might sound rather hopeful that it returns 'excellent' but it returns that in ANY situation where it doesn't return
'*********house'. Would prefer to see the numbers, in particular looking for timing jitter, with any sort of luck under 4usec. Also the 'line' across the screen can tell
you something about the PCs behaviour.

Does your machine or its control box have an Estop button? Most units do. With Mach enabled on the screen, the Reset button lower left light continuously
and surrounded by a green border, hit your Estop button. Does the Reset button change?. If it does then the BoB in your control box is talking back to Mach
which is good news.

Let us know how you get on and then we can talk about some more simple tests.

Craig
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:30:32 AM »
Hello Craig
The reset on the computer will change through key board. . The estop on the mill will not set the reset on the computer to flash.
Ran test again and on the start there was two lines close together they were from top to bottom 0 to 80 then there was other lines above line just under 48.
Pulse 2499. Max variation 5008 to 7.183, short 38.44, long 44.12Apic control 7995. CPU 3000, CPU MHL 300, version 601, PCI 3000
Craig the new Mach loaded is showing Demo. We have bought a Mach3 licence and have the machine serial and manual serial numbers they supplied with mill.
Being in Demo mode would that change anything?
Thank You Craig
Cheers
John
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »
Craig
On the start of the test the two lines from top to bottom are reading between 2675 to 9.318 and 365.943 to 370.325
Cheers John
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 01:11:34 AM »
Hi John,
I cannot run the DriverTest.exe on my laptop as it is Window 8 and can't therefore load Machs parallel port. Without having the screen open in front of me
struggling to make sense of you description however:
38.44, long 44.12
sounds very much like the longest and shortest times of a nominal 40us period square wave. That suggests a timing
jitter of 44.12-38.44=5.68us, not brill but not too bad either. It represents your PCs ability to generate accurate pulse streams, because your PC has to do
all sorts of tasks like running Windows and all its services and Mach and any other software you have running it cant concentrate on it alone and so you get
this variance, in this case about 14% of nominal period.

There is a problem tho if your Estop button cannot signal Mach, if the BoB cant talk to Mach then its pretty fair that Mach can't talk to the BoB and can't
send pulses to the motor drives.

Can you take the lid off the control box and take some pics. I'm hoping that the BoB outputs have LEDs so you can see at a glance whether they change
in response to Mach commands. I'm of the opinion that Mach has not enabled the breakout board, maybe an enable signal or signals or maybe a charge pump
signal.

Can you post some screen shots of the first four pages of Config/Ports and Pins?

Craig
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 02:33:43 AM »
Hello Craig
The computer running the mill has no internet connection. We were told not to.
Have taken photos on my Ipad of the first four of the con/fig ports and pin, taken photos of the test with the start long signals and other through the test.
Taken the sides off the mill and taken photos of all the inside, quite a few LEDS working, pressed the keys on the key board and the lights never changed /blinked.
Turned off mill and the reset button started to flash and would not stop, asking for external reset. turned mill back on and the restart on the computer would turn off.
Sorry Craig, pretty old (71) and have trouble understanding some of the things.
Cheers John