Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:00:15 AM

Author Topic: More inputs or can I configure Mach3 to use one MPG for X, Y and Z axis?  (Read 3788 times)

Newbie here with a couple of questions......

I'm adding CNC capability to an old Long Chang mill, so far I have added 1200 oz-in steppers on the X and Y axis , and I'm driving these with 2060AC micro stepper drivers via Mach3. I also added magnetic scales for DRO capability. Everything seems peachy-keen so far, other than some motor resonance at medium speeds. I will Add Z axis capability next.

I'm using a dedicated mini-ATX PC board that has two parallel ports.

I also want to hookup a rotary pot (MPG) to make jogging easier. At first glance it looks like Mach3 is designed to work with separate MPG encoders for each axis, I would prefer to have one rotary encoder and a rotary switch to assign the encoder to the desired axis. Is there a way to get Mach3 to change the axis a single MPG will be used for?, ie. a command would be ideal.  If not I will need 2 inputs for each MPG! I'm quickly running out of inputs:
  1 for E-Stop
  2 for X axis DRO
  2 for Y axis DRO
  2 for Z axis DRO

So if I can mutiplex 3 MPG's to just 2 inputs (I'm okay for now), if not I will need at least 3 more inputs.
  2 for X axis DRO
  2 for X axis DRO
  2 for X axis DRO

How does one get more usable inputs?

Re: More inputs or can I configure Mach3 to use one MPG for X, Y and Z axis?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
Hi,
it certainly can be done. Have you had a look at some of the remote pendants being offered.

I, like you, started to think about making my own MPG with a select switch so the one MPG could be used for any axis but the found that
the pendants on sale made a mockery of trying to save money, they are way cheaper and more capable than I could make.

I ended up with a P1A from VistaCNC. It is a serial device and plugs in to a USB socket so doesn't even use up any PP IO pins. I used it
with Mach3 for several years and downloaded their new Mach4 plugin and have been using it with Mach4 for nearly a year.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
Is there a way to get Mach3 to change the axis a single MPG will be used for?

Why not just use Tab key and the flyout allows you to assign any MPG to any axis you want to use it for when jogging.
If your into  modifying screens you can add the functionality to any screen you wish there is no need for the flyout.

KISS......

RICH
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
Is there a way to get Mach3 to change the axis a single MPG will be used for?

Why not just use Tab key and the flyout allows you to assign any MPG to any axis you want to use it for when jogging.
If your into  modifying screens you can add the functionality to any screen you wish there is no need for the flyout.

KISS......

RICH

Rich,

I'm under the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that selecting Alt A, Alt B, or Alt C on the jog pop-up, simply selects MPG#1, MPG#2, MPG#3, but does not allow a single MPG to be routed to just 2 input pins for the A&B signals from a single encoder to be used for any axis X, Y or Z.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
You can configure three MPG's in Config>Ports & Pins >Encoder/MPG's and each would have its owne pin and port assigned to it.

So Alt A is MPG number 1 in configuration, BUT , as you click Alt A you will see via the green LED that
the axis associated with MPG#1 will define what axis it will be used for. So if  X,Y,Z,A,B,C axes are  actualy configured in Mach it will jog that axis.

An example:
I use two MPG's but for the lathe they are assigned to X & Z.
For the mill they are normaly used / assigned X &Y but  if required I can assign one of them to Z if so desired by click AltB button.

RICH