Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:18:46 PM

Author Topic: New user - ToolPath Not Showing  (Read 3378 times)

New user - ToolPath Not Showing
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just recently completed a Denford Triac conversion to mach 4 with an ESS.  I have made one part so far with the new setup and what an improvement over the +20 year old electronics that were previously used. Unfortunately though, since I have installed the software, I have been unsuccessful in getting the toolpath window to show anything. It simply stays gray in color, even when clicking "regen toolpath".

I must be missing something? I think I may try reinstalling the software. If I need to do this, how do I save my preferences/settings? Also, for what it is worth, I am using Fusion 360 with the Mach3 post processor.

Also, kind of unrelated, but is there a way to set defaults for buttons? I like to have the "soft limits" button enabled, but I have to enable it every time I boot the software. Half the time I forget and hit the axis limit switches.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

short video of my first part after the conversion (simple address plaque):
https://youtu.be/F4Urls5CHfQ

Alex
Re: New user - ToolPath Not Showing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »
Hi Alex,
I don't have an answer but there is a couple of things to check.

Go to Operator/Edit Screen and put the cursor on the toolpath window and left click...in the Properties panel lower left confirm that
'Enabled' is checked and 'Enabled States' All is checked. Note that the toolpath doesn't have any events so the panel will be blank if
you select the events tab rather than the properties tab.

On Configure/Mach/Tool Path there should be a whole bunch of different colours to represent different types of toolpath. Are they displayed?
If your not sure what they should look like post a screen shot. There are three 'Tool Path Options', not sure what they all mean but can't hurt
to experiment with some of the settings.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 02:42:10 AM »
Could be your graphic card

As to soft limit persistence look in the video section of this forum dazthegas has a video on it , search is your friend ,yes I have the soft limit persistence mod done

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
I'm starting to think it is my graphics card. I installed the software on my laptop and the toolpath is working fine. I think I am going to try a different graphics card.

As far as the soft limits always on... In having trouble finding it but I will keep looking.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
For those who are looking for the video to enable soft limits on startup of mach4... here is the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Y0pKOz2ao

pretty straight forward really. Just was unfamiliar with the debugging and location of the start up scripts for mach 4. It seems the possibilities are endless with macros!

As far as the the toolpath, I am going to try a better graphics card in my dedicated machine for the CNC. I will let you know what I find!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »
So after a little more digging it appears my graphics card will only handle up to open GL 1.4... Which Mach 4 requires at least open GL 1.5.... Figures. I imagine this has to be the problem. I will update back once I put in a new graphics card.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 12:45:02 AM »
There is an option in the Tool Path tab to revert to the older OpenGL code.  It might work for you.  I can't make any guarantees, though.  But it might be worth a shot. 

Steve
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
I did try the options in the toolpath tab that supposedly requires less from the graphics card, but had no luck. So I replaced the graphics card today and it works great! Thanks for your guys help.

Alex