Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:35:45 AM

Author Topic: Control A131 ASKPOWER with MACH3  (Read 2644 times)

Control A131 ASKPOWER with MACH3
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
Hello all,
I have a 6040 set up:
A131 VFD 1.5kw
8w Air cooled Spindle
Ethernet Smooth Stepper
Gecko G540

All is operational and working smoothly, I have good manual control of VFD/Spindle.... Next step Im working on is to control my VFD with Mach3.
I have done some research to find that there is a way with the D0+ and D1- on the VFD. I have purchased the USB to RS485 adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-485-USB-to-RS485-Converter-Adapter-Win7-8-XP-Linux-Vista-Mac-OS-WinCE5/152302499648?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Where im currently lost is how to I set that USB up as a recognizable COM port in my PC for Mach3 to be happy with?

Also, do I set PN03 in VFD to 7 (Is this multi-segment?)

Many thanks in advance.........ready to start flying chips!!!!
Re: Control A131 ASKPOWER with MACH3
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
Hi,
I assume that because your trying to set up an RS485 link that you wish to control your VFD by serial/Modbus method? Why?

Most people use a relay and an analogue voltage. Is there a reason that you wish to do it otherwise?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »
Hi Joe,
Thank You very much for replying to my hot mess.......Not really sure why... Just wanted to have a singular point of control in Mach3. Eventually I picture my setup with a touchscreen running mach3 mounted to my mill frame. I like consolidation and organization. Based on research in forums although scattered and vague I thought this was the way to go. It's probably vague because it's not a popular method i suppose right? lol.. my newbie colors fly!! Been working on this and dumping money to it when I can in between two teenage sons with PS4 addiction and a wife that MUST get her nails and hair done EVERY FRIKKEN week!? lmao.... My persistence has paid off as I finally have my 6040 frame brought to life with 3 axis drive from gecko G540 controlled with Ethernet Smoothstepper, all tuned and running smooth in Mach3. Now i'm just on Inverter Control. ASKPOWER A131 1.5kw powering 8W Air cooled spindle..

-DiyHands
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
Hi,
the G540 is setup for one analogue output. One of the digital outputs could be used as a relay signal. May I suggest using this scheme while you
consider the coding required to implement Modbus control.

On the ESS assign pin 14 port 1 as PWM output, pin 17 port 1 as relay. Once the G540 is plugged in screw terminal 8 should be analogue voltage out
with screw terminal VFD ground and screw terminal 9 as VFD 10V. Screw terminal 5 is on/off signal for VFD, a relay maybe.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »
Craig,
Oh jeez..... could I have have possibly been any less thorough in my reading of the provided docs??!? OMG I had the answer the whole time??! I've been chasing this RS485 thing down the rabbit hole so hard that I didnt even realize this?! Thanks for the save Craig!! Right now I dont have any relays or anything.. Currently set up in my living room (Wife ABSOLUTELY loves that just about as much as I like her nails).... My thoughts are to just get everything wired up and working (prototype if you will) with all my pinout figured out and documented well in the comfort of my home and then teardown to reassemble (properly with cable management and peripheral hardware i.e. relays, limit switches, lights, fans..etc...) in garage when i'm ready to practice flying chips and focus on learning my Gcode and operation technique, feeds and speeds... Right now looking into ASKPOWER A131 VFD manual to research input wiring from G540, I'll be tinkering with your great suggestion all day today, thanks again! Ill post back ASAP to share...

-DiyHands