Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:41:44 AM

Author Topic: Probing after a manual tool change issue  (Read 2584 times)

Probing after a manual tool change issue
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »
So I have a pokeys57CNC that is working great for me. Nothing fancy, just a simple 3 axis router using a trim router for a spindle so I need to manually change all tooling. I use the probe for the first tool setup in the g-code and it works great. The issue arises with all subsequent tool changes. For the second tool change in the middle of the program, the program stops and tells me that it needs a tool change. The issue is that I can not jog or probe without stopping the program. The buttons are greyed out. So I usually stop the program and jog to a comfortable tool changing area. Tool gets changed and it needs to be probed again to offset Z axis. When I press the probe button for Z the machine does not move. I press the probe button again and it is like it hits a limit. The probing stops and the axis disable. Once I enable the machine again the probing will work again and I can use the 'start from this line' button to resume the program.

I am using fusion360 post processor for generic Mach 3 with all tools set to manual tool change and live tool is unchecked.

Please tell me there is a better way of doing this.
Thanks,
Phuk
Re: Probing after a manual tool change issue
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »
What you are experiencing is why they make spindles with tool holders instead of collets so they can repeat. So you need to break your program up into separate programs, one for each tool. Set a tool and run the program for that tool. When it finishes load the next program and the next tool and set the tool length. Lots of times it is easier to run all the parts on tool 1 then install tool 2 and run them all again. This assumes your workholding is repeatable.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
Thank you Gary. That is simple enough to do.
But I would have thought there would be a way to re-probe after a program has been stopped.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
If you are using a tool probe to get your TLO then you should be able to write a tool probe macro and insert it after the tool change.  I think this will work, I am unable to test this right theory right now however.  

As far as posting it, I was looking through the Manual NC Functions in Fusion; unfortunately none of those commands will automatically output an M code for us; so you will have to edit your G Code after post processing it to insert your custom macro after each tool change you want to probe.  
Chad Byrd
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
Thank you Gary. That is simple enough to do.
But I would have thought there would be a way to re-probe after a program has been stopped.
I have never seen a CNC that could do that, lots of things to consider to prevent a crash. If your tools bottom in the spindle then they may repeat on length. In that case you could use tool length compensation and preset your tool lengths. Then during operation you simply have the tool change position high enough for you to remove and install the tool and then you just press start to resume the program. The key here is repeatable tool length
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:32 PM »
I think dazthegaz made a script for this that uses the M6 tool changer. Manual tool change but checks lenght of the tool even if it stores the tool number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1eMEec0N-E