Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:58:33 PM

Author Topic: backlash  (Read 3274 times)

backlash
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »
Hi  guys is there a tutorial or a particular thread that would explain how to check my backlash and the appropiate steps to correct it?
Bob

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: backlash
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »
Are we talking Lathe or Mill?

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »
This is a copy of an old thread.

Hey,
    Checking your backlash should be no problem if you have an indicator. Put the indicator on something solid. Jog your axis until you move the indicator to a reading of about half of its travel. Write down the reading on the indicator. Jog the axis in the other direction by a set amount, say .010" and see how much difference the indicator shows. If the indicator says you moved .005 and Mach says it has moved .010 then you have .005" backlash.  You can check your steps per with your indicator also. Set up as before., only this time run the axis in until it just starts to move the needle on the indicator. Write down your reading. Going in the same direction give the axis a move with Mach. If Mach thinks it moved it .010" and your indicator says it moved .010", your steps per are right.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:29:46 AM »
Thanks guys for the help sorry I couldn't respond sooner the kids have always got the laptop tied up (my-space)  :'(    it is a mill  Graham
thanks Brett for the explanation I'll give it a try I have love joy couplings and I suspect there might be some slop  and it might be binding
Bob