Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:46:50 PM

Author Topic: Setting up Mach4 for the first time - Motors won't turn  (Read 2111 times)

Setting up Mach4 for the first time - Motors won't turn
« on: July 02, 2017, 11:12:20 PM »
Building a brand new CNC setup. Followed all the directions but my motors won't turn when I try to "jog" them. I've checked everything I can think of.

Using Win 10, Mach4, UC100, C10 parallel port I/F board, KL-4030 Drivers. Double checked my wiring. The motors "lock up" when power is applied and occasionally when I'm clicking buttons in Mach4 I'll hear one of the motors  "click" like it's getting maybe a single pulse, but that's all, no real motor movement. Not sure what pull-up or pull-down jumper settings I should use on the C10. Tried many different combinations, nothing makes a difference.

Is there a way that I can test the KL-4030 by putting +5 or GND and a squarewave generator on the inputs of the KL-4030? If I can prove that the KL drives the motors then I know the problem is upstream.

-Kevin
Re: Setting up Mach4 for the first time - Motors won't turn
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:52:56 AM »
Hi,
welcome aboard, you poor sick little puppy....LOL

Yes you can test your drivers that way. On page 3 of the KL4030 manual is the wiring diagram. You'll need to follow it.
Common PUL+, DIR+ and ENA+ to your 5V on the C10 BoB. In order to enable the driver short ENA- to 0V. With a short piece of
wire, one end to 0V, each time you brush the PUL- terminal the stepper should rotate one step. Would recommend that you don't have
any microstepping at this stage, the steps are likely to be so small that you'll never detect them.

The C10 is a good board, its like an asshole, everyones got one. If you need another buy a BoB with LEDs on the IO pins, makes it so easy to
set up and diagnose. I use BoBs from Homan Designs in Austrailia but lots of BoBs are made with LEDs. As it stands you'll need a scope or
similar to 'see' any output pulses from the BOB. You should find the pin hooked to ENA- is low, after all your driver inputs are all active low.
You will have to configure Mach AND the C10 to provide active low signals.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
Hi Craig, thanks for the tips, I'll try these tonight.

Additional questions:
1) For the C10 output pins 2-9, do I set the jumper for pull-up or pull-down? I'm connecting to a KL-4030.
2) The KL-4030 has ENA+ and ENA- terminals. Do I need these connected to 5V and GND or can I leave them unconnected?
3) You say "each time you brush the PUL- terminal"  -- brush it with what, GND? (0V I'm assuming?)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »
Hi,
1) Pull-up
2) ENA+ 5V, ENA- 0V
3) PUL+ 5V, brush PUL- with 0V to cause the driver to step.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
I respectfully disagree with answer 2 above. Ena+ and Ena- should be left not connected for normal operation.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »
Got it working! Steve is correct, ENA + & - can be left unconnected. In my case the problem turned out to be just a setting in Mach4, as follows:
In the "Configure/Plugins/UC100" window, on the "Step/Dir Settings" tab, I needed to place a check mark in the "Neg" box for each motor's "Step pin"