Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:30:24 PM

Author Topic: Z movement is random  (Read 2023 times)

Z movement is random
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:47:29 PM »
Hello,

I am using Mach 3 with a UC100 connected to a Chinese 6040T CNC router.

Everything has been running fine until this afternoon. The machine was in the middle of a lengthy beveling operation and I went to eat some lunch. When I returned the X and Y were moving along fine but the Z was a couple of inches above the work piece even though Mach 3 was showing that it should be 4mm below the work surface zero.

I stopped the cut to see if I could rezero the Z and backup to the last tool change and start over. Unfortunately, pressing the keys to control the Z resulted in random action. The Z always moves, but whether it is moving up or down is random.

I reset the computer as well as the control box and I double checked the Z configuration in Mach 3, but the issue persists.

Does anyone have any idea how I might determine what the issue is?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Z movement is random
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
Loose wires would be the first thing I'd look for.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »
Hello,

I am using Mach 3 with a UC100 connected to a Chinese 6040T CNC router.

Everything has been running fine until this afternoon. The machine was in the middle of a lengthy beveling operation and I went to eat some lunch. When I returned the X and Y were moving along fine but the Z was a couple of inches above the work piece even though Mach 3 was showing that it should be 4mm below the work surface zero.

I stopped the cut to see if I could rezero the Z and backup to the last tool change and start over. Unfortunately, pressing the keys to control the Z resulted in random action. The Z always moves, but whether it is moving up or down is random.

I reset the computer as well as the control box and I double checked the Z configuration in Mach 3, but the issue persists.

Does anyone have any idea how I might determine what the issue is?

Perhaps the coupling between the (stepper?) motor and the ball/lead screw has become loose or is broken.
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Thanks Gerry,

I unplugged both ends of the motor cable for the Z and plugged them back in and am receiving the same behavior. I will have to see if I can find the connectors they are using so I can make up my own cable and see if it fixes  the problem.

Thanks Reuelt,
It is definitely not a mechanical issue. The Z is moving the correct distance, but the direction is random.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »
It won't  be the motor cable. Look at the step/direction wires, or parallel cable.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:40:24 PM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 08:40:15 PM »
"direction is random"

In the motor tuning what is the pulse and direction length set? I set mine to 15us and 5us respectively because the MY BOB-driver board of the 6040T has slower buffer chips and opto-coupler chips compared to other break out boards (BOB).
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
Sorry I didn't come back with the resolution sooner. It turned out to be the Z axis cable. I made a new one and everything worked fine after that.