Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:17:13 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 Lathe with ESS Smoothstepper  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Mach4 Lathe with ESS Smoothstepper
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:42:23 PM »
Hi Friends

I am seriously thinking to upgrade to mach4 for my lathe, at present I am running Mach3 with ESS Smoothstepper and all works Ok, but I have just changed my spindle from a VFD driven Motor to a Servo with feedback and was wanting a little more out the unit.
Before I spend the dollars on Mach4 I read that it was having a few problems like threading and backlash comp, If these are still an issue I’m better of staying with Mach3.

Does anyone know if all these bugs have been sorted out or not?
Thanks
Cheers
Katoh
Re: Mach4 Lathe with ESS Smoothstepper
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
Hi,
I think threading and backlash compensation are features which are at least partially enacted by the
motion controller. At the current time the Mach4 ESS plugin is somewhat underdone on those two
features, but progress is being made right now.

Vital Systems Hicon board and plugin seem somewhat more developed than any of the others, not cheap
bu very good.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:56:31 AM »
you can do it with the pokey 57cnc

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:24:02 AM »
Vital Systems Hicon board and plugin seem somewhat more developed than any of the others, not cheap
bu very good.

Craig, Have to agree I have the DSMCP for the mill (not operational yet) but great controller, very Xee but worth it I think :-\

For now stuck with ESS on the lathe.

you can do it with the pokey 57cnc

Not planning to scrap a perfectly good system to buy another. simply need to know if the bugs are ironed out?
Cheers
Katoh