Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:26:20 PM

Author Topic: Lathe Threading. Fantastic but just need one final answer. Sorry, two!  (Read 3286 times)

Aw I dunno! Its all about moving with steps instead of pushing a wheel around by hand mate. I am getting fantastic results except for the glitch previously mentioned. I guess that my experience with my cnc router has put me in the position I am in. What I am achieving is kind of a manual lathe operation but done by a pc.

Not sure how it could be improved. I can put CAD into a piece of material.

Hey but thanks Rich

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
The lathe is different than the router. Frankly I think it is more complex because of the tool geometry and all that goes with it.  Also the screen set is different and has additional buttons and DRO's. Yes, one may find a certain way that things
turn out ok. Like Clint said " Tell Me, feel lucky today".  ::)

Have fun,

RICH
Hi.  Umm ok?

I am always respectful of experience and knowledge. All I know is I have managed to find a solution to machine parts in an  automated and accurate way without having to sit there manually taking lots of small cuts. Not to mention the beautiful way a radius can be cut by cnc.

I dont understand here I am lucky with results?  What am I missing?

I do apologise if I am seemingly simplifying whats going on with my lathe but the only problem I have had is the one that has disappeared. I did read the threading writeup. But in all reality to require tolerances so fine you are talking about perhaps an aircraft turbine level? I am an aircraft engineer by trade. There is nothing else I have come accross since that needs such fine work. What I am working on is woodworking machinery. My own.

Hey but thanks for wishing me luck from up there on the soap box.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Happy that it all works for however you work.

Not a soap box... just some thoughts about threading:

As an engineer you know  the  importance of proper application of standards and the required tolerances to create a properly fitted bolted or screwed joint
and how the standards can be used in the manufacturing of components.

Most folks just machine a screw and the nut goes on and life is good. Life is good, they are happy, so am I for them if that's what they want to accomplish!

Code defines tolerances, my writeup just makes one aware of them and address why one may not achieve the tolerances.Threading was screwed up for a long time
and and working with Art we were able to fix it. We had to achieve lead tolerances and FIG 4.4.5 gives the basis.

What most folks DO NOT know is that calc's are done and there is a lot to designing, specifying, and getting the proper components to meets specifications.
They don't care, the nut goes on! You can't take that approach if your presenting basic threading information.

Thoughts from a process / mechanical engineering designer,

RICH