Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:45:50 AM

Author Topic: Question about computer to run Mach 3  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Ussca

•  22 22
    • View Profile
Question about computer to run Mach 3
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:57:50 AM »
The old computer I was using to run my machine on was DOA this morning. I have other computers I could use but they do not have the printer port. None of the newer computers do! Can I add the printer plug into an open slot and will it work as it is supposed to, like on the old on board 21 pin plugs printer ports? HELP!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Question about computer to run Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:24:28 AM »
It may be best to use a more modern computer and a motion controller such as the ESS (or similar).

However, you could fit a PCI parallel port card to provide the 25 pin printer port. More details are in Members Documents here: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,34848.0.html

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Ussca

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 02:36:15 AM »
TYVM Tweakie, this info helps a LOT. Will report back as soon as I get a card and will let others know too.............
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:39:11 AM »
Hi,
there are new computer boards out there with parallel ports built in. I bought an dual core Atom mini-ITX board a few years
ago and used its built in port and added another PCI board for two PPs and ran Mach3 with it for a couple of years no probs.

About six months ago migrated to Mach4 and thought it would be a good idea to try out an external controller. Bought an ESS. Took
a little while to get my head around new ways of doing things but good, very good now! Probably should have got an ESS years ago.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:49:00 AM »
Hi,
this is very similar to my platform, very modest computing power but it works....
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/~D2550HN

Craig

Offline Ussca

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:03 PM »
I got a replacement computer with  a fresh XP install. The puter guy put a board in the PCI slot and installed the software for it. Loaded Mach 3 on it and digital readouts in Mach work with the buttons, but no machine movement. Ordered another PCI board per the recommendat.ions on the above reply. Now will wait and see when it arrives. I am not sure about the 3.3v or 5v....
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:49:02 PM »

About six months ago migrated to Mach4 and thought it would be a good idea to try out an external controller. Bought an ESS. Took
a little while to get my head around new ways of doing things but good, very good now! Probably should have got an ESS years ago.

Craig

We will definitely try ESS as well.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
Hi Ussca,
Machs parallel port can be VERY picky about what port control IC is used. Some PCI boards work
ok but others don't.

When you install Machs PP follow the manual, there is a stage at which you MUST reboot the PC or
risk corruption of the software driver/black magic/hocus pocus you've just installed. Therafter the PP should
be seen as a distinct physical device in Windows Device Manager. Now you can test it with Drivertest.exe
in the Mach3 directory.

Craig