Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:54:27 PM

Author Topic: Partial Solution to Axis will not Stop Moving when using Arrow keys  (Read 3593 times)

When moving the axis using the arrow keys or buttons on the jogging control I've recently had a few times when the motion of the axis would not stop as I released the button.  Usually I noticed it right away and hit Escape in time to avoid problems.  Unfortunately last week I did not react in time and broke parts within the servo drive for my Z axis when the tool collided with my fixture.  This expensive problem has caused me to do some diagnosis.  I wish I had a full solution, but maybe this partial solution will help someone else.

The problem only happens when two things occur at the same time:  (a) the Jog Motion on the flyout window is set for step, not continuous; and (b) I have over-ridden the step action by using the shift key to high speed travel to the next point.  The problem of not stopping does not always occur under these conditions, but it has never occurred without both conditions.

So the temporary solution is to make sure the jog mode button is on Continuous before using the shift key!  I'm going to see if I can build a brain to halt motion if the shift key is pressed while the mode is Step, but have not done that yet.

For reference, I'm using Mach 3 with Smoothstepper.
Re: Partial Solution to Axis will not Stop Moving when using Arrow keys
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »
Full Solution:

I've now got a "brain" that works to prevent this problem.  It detects if the Step mode is active when the shift key is pressed.  If so, it causes a program "Reset".  This is a bit extreme but is necessary for me because the wiring for my speed control through the spindle VFD requires a Reset to halt the rotation completely.  If you don't have this problem, you can probably use "Offline" instead.  When building the brain, use the following:

Jog Continuous is OEMLED 14
Jog Increment is  OEMLED 15
Cont Shift Jog  is  OEMLED 58
Reset is ButtonPress 1021, or
Offline is ButtonPress 258

Don't forget to enable this new brain.  I called it NoShift.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:25:27 PM by brian98 »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »
Thanks for posting your solution Brian98.

Which version of Mach3 are you using ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
My version is Version R3.043.066

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 01:20:21 AM »
Ideally, you should be using version .062 (as recommended by Warp9 for use with their ESS).

Tweakie.
PEACE