Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:56:06 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 w/ new UC100 No Limit switches recognized  (Read 4159 times)

Mach3 w/ new UC100 No Limit switches recognized
« on: June 06, 2017, 07:11:30 PM »
Had Mach3 through LPT talking to BOB.  No issues other than old PC dying.  So, New PC Win 7 / 64Bit.  Purchased UC100 from CNCDrive.  Installed all drivers and adjusted plugins.  I can control the XYZ through JOG, but the input switches are now ignored completely. Checked the Config Pins/Ports: IN on 13,12,15 like before.  When I put metal onto limits, the switch light comes on but the UC100 diag and the MACH diag page don't indicate switches at all.  The Mach3 shows all switches closed, even when they are not.  Please help.

PS, to get it to Jog, either disable limits or reverse input polarities.  but the limit activations don't make ANY of the indicator lights switch.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:18:46 PM by briksay »

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 w/ new UC100 No Limit switches recognized
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »
I think Mach3 works only with 32 bit OS
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »
Hi,
Mach does work on 32 and 64 bit OS's but the LPT works ONLY on 32 bit. Your UC100 should work
fine. Sounds like the setup is not quite right yet. If you haven't already RTFM.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
I have narrowed down that the inputs to the UC100 WORK on Estop.  Just not the limit switches.  Since the inputs are basically the same on the BOB, it may be the sensors.  My limits are non-contact inductive / capacitive.  I will test the actual voltage to the input during the Hi/Lo cycles of the switches going into the BOB.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
Hi,
yes it sounds like your sensors are open collector or similar but your BoB has a pull-down resistor. You need to sort it with a multimeter.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 06:18:50 AM »
Partial Sort:  the XYZ limit switch inputs were going from 9.3v down to 0.7v when bringing metal in range on the non-contacts.  I am also getting crossfeed.  If one limit is activated, the others drop their signal voltage by approx 1v.  This is SO weird.  No hardware changes on the machine.  Just a new PC and the introduction of the UC100.  But now limit switches are flakey.  I am going to build a simple microswitch bank to test w/o the proximity switches.  If this solves the prob, then the prox switches were it, but why now?  why when a UC100 was introduced?  Twilight ZONE???

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
Hi,
the UC100 is a 5V device, how is it that your getting 9v? From the manual:
 On the fly configurable 5 pieces of 5V (TTL level) schmitt triggered and filtered
inputs. The input internal pullup resistance to 5Volts is 4.7kOhms.

That suggests that you must be feeding in excess of 5V into your inputs, have you seen smoke?

Craig
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
Hi,
with the inputs disconnected the input pins should by virtue of the pullup resistor be 5V. With active low inputs all Machs input LEDs should
be off. Shorting any one input to 0V should turn Machs input LED on. If not you've buggered it. TTL devices DO NOT like being reverse biased.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »
if they are disconnected, they are high.  No problem.
If I pull them low by shorting to ground, No problem.  All on Mach seems to read this fine.

I just cannot fathom the coincidences that would require 3 non-contact sensors to go funky within a few days by changing a PC and adding the UC100.  Never touched the sensors.  but now my signals are cross fed and only work on rare occasions. 

It is not fixed 100% yet, as I have a REGULAR job that keeps me away from the fun stuff other than in the evenings.
I am new to CNC and learning.  It was a CHinese CNC machine from an auction.  I got it working.  The older Dell PC was just flaking due to age.  So, new PC and figuring out the missing components by going to WIN 7/ 64 meant the UC100.  NONE of this explains how the sensors are now working funky.  I had it working 100% on the older PC. 

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »
Hi,
what voltage are the proximity sensors?

Craig