Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:32:44 AM

Author Topic: Tool plunges into project too deep  (Read 3618 times)

Re: Tool plunges into project too deep
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 05:37:45 PM »
"Learning new things" is my mantra, hence launching into cnc routing. It has probably been the steepest learning curve I have had in 20 years! I'm a reader so I will look for the book you recommend unless you think it is for advanced cncers.
Peter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
Hi,
yeah CNC is a great hobby for extending your knowledge horizons.

The book is available online, probably free if you scout about. Its a BIG read...
and if your not advanced when you start you will be by the end!

Some of the tutorials are rather more 'accessible' and considerably quicker to get a basic grasp.
Look at the Gcode produced by some of the wizards, rectangular pocketing, circular drill pattern
for instance produce usually fairly simple readable code and worth studying if you wish to write
and therefore read your own code.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:49 AM »
To all whom it may concern.
My dilemma with the plunging router bit has been solved. It was an error on my part in Vectric software.
In the dialogue panel for toolpaths there is a small dialogue box at the very bottom which sets the axis number on the 3 axis I use. Another setting sets the height for the tool to pass over the work piece which is generally set at about 6mm. Further to this configuration at the bottom of all the settings is this other setting. The X is always set at 0 and so is the Y. But I discovered that the default (?) setting for the Z was very much higher than my machine could manage once I set the work offsets to 0. How it came to this setting I do not know but it obviously has been high ever since I started to use Vectric software. It never made any difference to my previous machine, a home made Momus which had a higher setting for the Z.
My new machine, however, on ready this high setting (41+ mm) was making the Z axis reach for the moon and hit the top. Not being aware of this other than hearing it groan there a bit it would then descend to the work piece and go digging.
I gather that while the Z axis was grinding to go higher than it could, the pulses  from the motor was telling it that it was higher than it actually, physically was, hence the desire to go down too far into the wood.
I hope this makes sense. It does to me and now I have my machine working properly... but not quite.

About 3/4 of the way through the gcode Mach3 froze and I could'nt get any axis to work again until I restarted it and lost my place to start again.
Peter :'(