Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:03:47 AM

Author Topic: Question on OD Arc 3 In turn wizards  (Read 1989 times)

Question on OD Arc 3 In turn wizards
« on: May 22, 2017, 04:17:01 PM »
I am trying to make a few OD Arcs on a .625 " brass round that is 1" long. I am trying to get 4 OD arcs going down the length. Though , when I try to use this wizard, It is not allowing me to put more than 1 arc and I cannot seem how to figure out the parameters as the Z start and Z end are not working? Can anyone help me in regards to how to do this. I want to have the Z start at depth of .525 and then start from the end and have them evenly spaced about .125" apart   .. I know when I use the groove wizard , I can make multiple grooves. I might just do this down the shaft, but I was hoping to have arc spaces ..? Any help is very much appreciated.
Does anyone know how to use the OD ARC 3 WIZARD?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »
I am trying to put 4 arcs on my piece of 1" x .625" OD brass round. I have no idea how to use this wizard. Does anyone know how?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Question on OD Arc 3 In turn wizards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
Have not used that wizard in a long time.
Assume that you are in radius mode and  Revesered arcs in front tool post is checked in Turn Options are checked. You can only create one arc with the wizard at a time but you could create code for an arc located in different locations along a length.The following will put the arc in the center of the 1" long piece.

FILLET RADIUS  .1 
X END .525
X START .625
z END -1.0
z START O.OOO
Z CENTER -.5
CLEARANCE .1
ROUGH FEEDRATE 3.0
ROUGH CUT DEPTH .010

Run the generated gcode and note how the pathing is done. So be carefull that your tool will not gouge. Modify cut depth,feedrate , etc to suite what you want to do.

Have fun.....

BTW, There are no instructions for the wizards si just need to play with them to see how they work.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
Thank you for the help Rich. Now when I put X start .625 to X end .525.. Should I factor in the radius aspect? To clarify, .625 - .525 = .100 , which is the depth that I want to go to. SHould I divide the .100 in half = .050 and add that onto the .525 = .575 so that it does not cut to deep, or does that not matter in this case? When I do a turn wizard, I have to follow this principle.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:48:14 PM »
Not sure as I have not used that wizard in "years" AND not sure if it works for both radius and diameter mode as some of the other ones do not.
If I  get a chance will look at the code to see and backplot posted code or look at the scripting.

Just play with it and run on some scrap material.

RICH
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
yes, thanks.  I test on graphite rod , so its nice n soft. I did one test run , but it was trying to make the arc in the wrong direction away from the stock. I'm going to test tonight as tomorrow I have a few days sales trip. lol always when you are trying to learn something new..

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
Ticking "Reveresed arcs in front tool post" under Turn Options will change how the arc is done. ie; inward or outward

RICH