Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:01:14 AM

Author Topic: Problem with Grex and MPG (analog in/out also)  (Read 7204 times)

Problem with Grex and MPG (analog in/out also)
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:47:24 AM »
Hello, It's been a while since I messed with my Grex and so far I am not having too much luck.

I downloaded the latest Mach and the firmware files etc and flashed the Grex.  All is up and running.

I think, though, that something isn't quite right.  I am trying to get the MPG to work and the analog in/out working.  I have it all hooked up and settings correct, but when I flash the Grex I get the following message....

I followed a post from Chaoticone to configure the MPG. 
http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?topic=3338.30
When using the Grex monitor I still have never seen anything from the encoders.  I also tried to set up the analog stuff with the same results.  I am beginning to think that I am not actually flashing my Grex and that is why it isn't doing what I tell it to.

I also have connection issues with Grex.  EVERY TIME, I must...

1.   Start Mach3
2.   Plug in the Grex
3.   Type in the IP for the Grex
4.   set temp address
5.   restart discovery
6.   repeat 4 and 5 again

and then it will continue working continuously.  If I shut down Mach3 but not power down the Grex, then when I run Mach 3 again it will connect fine.  Something is going on during the boot up of the Grex (set to 3 seconds boot delay).  If I power up the Grex before I start Mach 3, It will crash Mach3 every time.  I have installed two versions of Mach in the last few days and I don't suspect a corrupt install.  I get the following message ALL THE TIME!!

Bottom line is that I have everything running fine (digital in/outs, motor step and direction on all 6 axis).  I just can't get the analog and encoder/MPG stuff to work.  I have messed with this for 3-4 hours now and I think something is not quite right.

Please offer up any advice.  I would like to get this working before I pay for the Grex license.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:05:20 AM by jsbuggy1 »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Grex and MPG (analog in/out also)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:13:43 AM »
Hey jsbuggy,
    Looks like you don't have the latest firmware loaded to me and/or some network issues. I'm working on a set-up guide. I have those sections finished for the most part. I have sent you an e-mail.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:57:03 AM »
Hi:

When you flash the G100, its very normal to get that message. But you should only get that message when it gets flashed. Its becauise it loses com while
it reboots. Are you sure the IP is locked in the G100. Sounds liek it has a different IP. If you run the GLoader, does the right IP show up in the web page?

Art
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 03:19:24 PM »
The firmware is the latest and the IP address has always been the same.  I can ping it and all that.  I have been running the Grex for many months like it is.  It is as if it responds to the firmware that I put into it using the Grex loader but I can't update the firmware using the configuration updater in Mach3.  I don't if that is whats happening or not.

One note is that I am using a Linksys router.  I have not had any trouble connecting after I get it to connect.  Like I said though, if Mach's configuration is not working then Mach wouldn't know to look there.  After I get it all running and play around with it for a while, then shut down Mach, and come back to it, it will connet fine.

Also, this may be irrelevant, I am runing the very first version of the Grex.  It has the Rabbit on top of the Grex and that is plugged into the gecko breakout board.  The Grex on the Gecko.com site looks like it has all been integrated now.  Is this a potential problem?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 04:11:09 PM »
When I am using the monitor and turn my MPG should the value for the encoder increment and decrement?  It doesn't.  I also cannot get it to respond to spindle analog out.  I am using the monitor to know if the Grex is working.  If it worked and Mach didn't respond then I would suspect Mach to be configured wrong.  The monitor will respond only to motor movement and digital IO.  I know the thing is talking to the Grex but I cant seem to update the Grex.  This is a little frustrating.  Please help if you can.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 04:32:31 PM »
Hi:

The monitor shoudl show the encoder values change. Make sure your set to external incrment 1 and internal increment 0.
If the encoder is hooked up right to an encoder input on the G100, you shoudl see the numbers change..

Art
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »
Just made the change.  I had internal and external increment set to 1.  Still not working.  I have led's on the Grex and I can see the encoder working, but it is not getting to Mach3.  I am set up on B encoder. Is that OK?  I am running out of things to try.  I have been using Mach3 for 2 years and I thought I knew it inside out.  I am 99.9% sure that the problem is in the Grex.  Is there a way to see what settings the Grex has stored?  When I open the configuration manager, does it read the Grex or a file?

Are there any port and pin settings required?  I assume that with the Grex plugin, much of the port and pin stuff is replaced with serial commands to the Grex.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:56:36 PM by jsbuggy1 »
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 05:44:08 PM »
I just noticed that I have a Grex G102 breakout board attached to my grex.  Is the firmware for the old Grex the same as the firmware for the new one?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 05:47:54 PM by jsbuggy1 »
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
I can't get this thing to work so I don't want it.  Anyone that is interested in buying a Grex call me.  Jason Scott is my name.  850-319-3565
I also have a box full of Gecko drives and Rutex drives all brand new that I will get rid of.  I also have a Series 2 Bridgeport mill (R2E4) completely retrofitted with Mach3 (4 axis) works absolutly perfect.  I only built it to learn controls.  I just want to get rid of it all.  I have so many boxes of CNC stuff that I need to clean up.  It will all be at very low prices so that I can clean up.  Thanks.