Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:10:23 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 & zero probe - safety switches  (Read 1385 times)

Mach3 & zero probe - safety switches
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »
 ??? Bear with me, I'am thinking outside the box here!

I am using a uc100 usb to my control box. Why can't I use the parallel port to wire the zero probe and safety switches. If I cut the end of an old parallel cable and only use the post that would normally be used for probe and switches. All the wiring diagrams that I have seen show pins in the parallel port.
I realize you can't use both the parallel and uc100 because Mach3 won't let you, but if I am only using pins that are extra anyways, could it be done.

Has anyone ever tried this?
Re: Mach3 & zero probe - safety switches
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:24:27 PM »
Hi,
I'm unfamiliar with the UC100 but have some experience with the ESS.

My understanding is that if you use an external motion controller (any of them) then Mach interacts with the plugin associated with your
particular controller. In that situation the parallel port is inoperative. You can have one or t'other, not both.

With the UC100 operating any parallel ports cant communicate with Mach. The parallel port is much more than the external 25 pin connector,
its the software driver that allows it to communicate with Mach and its interrupt driven timer that allows it to produce a pulse stream.

If you want more IO then consider a different controller, the ESS and PoKeys devices have the equivalent of three ports worth of pins, I think
some of the UC100s larger siblings have multiple ports worth of IO too. Another alternative is to investigate Modbus. Modbus TCP would allow
any amount of IO.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'