Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:18:00 AM

Author Topic: Question/Help on Motor Tuning Dialog box  (Read 2174 times)

Question/Help on Motor Tuning Dialog box
« on: May 05, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »
Hello All,

I have a question / need help on the Motor Tuning Dialog box. I have assembled the following equipment into a test bed as I research the mechanical parts for my router table. Everything is mounted, wired, tested and will actually move when I run the sample programs that came with my copy of Mach 3 (road runner, ball, etc.). I was following the Mach 3 videos by Paul Campbell on YouTube and everything was working fine until the motor tuning section. At this point, I have the tuning points in their default settings (2000, 120, 4, 0.010360, 0, 0). I select X Axis to start tuning, moved the Velocity a nudge, press Save Axis Setting, press Page Up/Down, and get no movement on the X axis, but Y axis moves. Ok, I must have used the wrong pins for the steppers, easy fix. Nope, all axis are terminated in the correct terminals on the BOB. Hmm… go to the Manual control screen to jog things around and X moves as it should. Test Y, Z, A under manual and they work correctly. More hmmm… go back to motor tuning, this time starting with Y and Y moves correctly. Try X, Z, and A, and only Y moves.

So, what am I doing wrong?

(1) CNC.xyz UC100 USB to Parallel CNC Motion Controller
(6) SainSmart CNC Micro-Stepping Stepper Motor Driver 2M542 Bi-polar 2phase 4.2A Switch
(1) Uxcell AC 110V 220V to DC 5V 5A 25W Switch Power Supply Driver
(1) Eyeboot 36V 600W DC Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply AC to DC 16 Amps
(1) SainSmart 5 Axis Breakout Board for Stepper Motor Driver CNC Mill
(6) StepperOnline NEMA 23 CNC Stepper Motor 2.8A 179oz.in 56mm Bipolar for Hobby CNC Kit
(1) Mach 3 Software (came with BOB from SainSmart) Version 3

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Question/Help on Motor Tuning Dialog box
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 01:42:33 AM »
I think you may have found one of the little quirks in Mach3 which is probably version specific.
I have just tried it here and I cannot get any axes to move when the Motor Tuning window is open - but all axes jog just fine when the window is closed.

The only advice I can give is that you save the settings and close the Motor Tuning window to test each axis after making any changes to it's settings.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
Haha ... Seems like I'm always finding the "quirks" in software. I get that response from my industrial tech support contacts (Rockwell, SIEMENS, etc) all the time

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I do not know which versions allow jogging with the Motor Tuning window open so perhaps best to always close the window before jogging.

The Mach3 version considered to be the most reliable is R3.043.062 which can be downloaded from here: ftp://anonymous:guest@ftp.machsupport.com/Mach3/Mach3Version3.043.062.exe

Tweakie.
PEACE
Question/Help on Motor Tuning Dialog box
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:48:04 PM »
Ok, thank you for the information and hopefully I can download it tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk