Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:19:56 AM

Author Topic: Parrallel port tests  (Read 3105 times)

Parrallel port tests
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »
Hi Everyone,
   I have just built a computer to run my mill my old mother board died. Anyway I added two ports and were hoping that someone knows about a port testing software or something like that . My computer shows the ports but can not get mach 3 to controlling them . I was going to hook up my printer but my printer stopped working 2 months ago and the one I got is only WIFI or usb. Thanks for your help Rrush
Re: Parrallel port tests
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »
Hi,
when you say you 'added two ports' how did you do that? Did you add boards and if so what type.

Even if you had a parallel port capable printer it would still not be a realistic test for the 'Mach Printer Port'. The Mach PP
is as much internal to the PC than the external connector. The internal part is that part of the code which programs the PC
to generate a pulse stream. In order to do this it takes extreme liberties with Windows OS. Should Windows be configured
in a contrary manner or that there is other software installed on the PC it may well prevent Machs 'Pulse engine' from running.
Under that circumstance Machs PP WILL NOT run even if the printer port connection is perfect. Machs Pulse Engine is the key,
if it runs then the chances are good for getting Mach to run without it NO CHANCE AT ALL.

The 'DriverTest.exe' is the correct tool for establishing if Machs Pulse Engine is running and if its in good shape or not. It may be
that the pulse engine is running but you have some snafu which prevents the signals arriving at the connector but if you get no
output from the DriverTest then NOTHING else works or matters.

Install Mach3 according to the instructions which includes a reboot part way thru. Run DriverTest.exe from the main Mach3 folder.
Note if you didn't reboot at the right time you will have to manually uninstall the corrupt driver and start again.

Report back and let us know how you got on.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
There are many free parallel port testing softwares available on the web, just search 'parallel port tester'. Some are better than others.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
Hi Everyone,
 I should have explained a little better. This was the first time I ever built a computer, so I am just figuring things out. I got  a mother board with 3 PCI slots 1 for video card and I put a DP cyber parallel pcie card in the other two. I went to Microsoft to get 8.1 but it would only let me down load 10 is that a problem ??? . before my other computer took a crap , it was running my machine ok with 1 port . I have seen videos  on line that guys have said they are using two ports to get more I/O but have not seen any with detail on haw they are doing it.. Well thank you joeaverage I will try the drivetest and maybe for now take 1 pci card out. Tweakie before I posted I looked and did see port testers but did not see any that said they would work for windows 10. Thank you to

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:57:40 AM »
Mach3 with a parallel port won't work with Windows 8.1 or 10, or any 64bit OS.

You need a 32 bit version of Windows 7 or older.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 04:00:24 AM »
'You need a 32 bit version of Windows 7 or older.'
This is not negotiable.

Try a local PC shop for W7 - NOT a chain or a franchise.

Cheers
Roger