Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:02:10 AM

Author Topic: Unspecified failure message  (Read 13649 times)

Unspecified failure message
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:30:08 PM »
When I try to set the spindle speed with M03 S1500, I get an error in Mach3: Error on line 2 - Unspecified failure, and it presents a VB debug screen.   This does not happen consistently but when it does it is very disconcerting.

Several other users on cnc zone forum have reported this but no one seems to know the fix.  Can someone here help?

I have other issues with Mach 3 but will report them one at a time starting with this one.

Regards

Chrisjh
Re: Unspecified failure message
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
Have you tried using M3 instead of M03?  Just a thought?

HTH,
Sid

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
I use to get the same error, we discovered it occured when opening  a file over the network in lew copying to the local machine to open.
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer
Onsrud & Custom CNC tooling Distributor

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 11:01:44 PM »
Hi All,

This drove me nuts until I discovered the only way to make it go away was same as Involute's fix. That is, close Mach3, then reboot the computer. Whilst this in not very satisfactory, it appears to be a workaround.

The other symptom that I notice while the computer was in this "mode" was that M3 S*********x commands from the MDI also resulted in the same error message and the the spindle motor would not start.

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that others are experiencing the same problem.

Kind Regards

Chrisjh
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:07:25 PM »
Hi all,

My original workaround for this error message is not consistent. I still get the error sometimes. I can't seem to get a consistent set of circumstances that replicates the error. For example I used the machine for about 6 hours yesterday with no sign of the problem all day despite interrupted sessions requiring shutdown to attend various domestic chores.

Then today when I started the "unspecified failure" error reared it's ugly head again. I ended up turning off Mach3 and rebooting the control computer about 3 times with no luck. I then tried to issue M3 S*********x followed by M5 commands from the MDI screen with the mill turned off then turned on. Somewhere during this frustrating process it miraculously came good so I was able to continue milling.

Issuing M3 or M03 does not have any affect. Mach3 seems to be very tolerant to leading zeros in G code.

Perhaps it is related to the I/O board where the parallel port cable is connected to the machine.

With more use ( I am new to this) I have also noted that the I/O board seems to hold logic states for a while (say 3 - 5 minutes) when the machine is turned off. One of the symptoms is that the E Stop remains active for 3 - 5 minutes immediately after I switch off the mill. This smacks of a lack of pulldown resistors on the I/O board parallel port. If I disconnect the control cable the E Stop signal disappears, thus proving that the rogue logic signal is definitely coming from the mill.

It would be great to get to the bottom of this problem. I have been able to solve many teething problems by using this and the Syil forums.

I am in the process of machining 50 lids for a Mixer module for a Radar used in the mining industry manufactured here in Brisbane Australia. I am at Op 6 of 8 operations and the machine is working great. I took some videos tonight and will post some vision when I can work out how to compress video.

Regards

Chrisjh

Offline Bear

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 06:31:31 PM »
Hi
 Seems there is a lot of interesting "Flags in Mach###, however ,as in my cases, MY Fault,,,.
Had an interesting one .Tool # tool large ?
Well , I had wanted the machine to "start from here".As it was ,I got impatient and restarted,
well, Mach### was correct ,was doing what I wanted and would not accept another tool
# or offset ! WOW,  what a great system !!

Bear
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:26:24 PM »
You guys having the M3 macro problem please post your XML and I will see if I have the problem here...

Bear, I can't tell if you have a problem or if you are making a joke... Is there a problem with entering tool data?

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:10:49 PM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for you offer to have a look.

Here is my xml file.

Regards

Chrisjh
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 08:58:04 AM »
Okay i just tested it here about 20 times no problem... how about a Gcode file that you have problems with and could be take a screen shot of the Macro directory? I wonder if Mach 3 is having a hard time with an other profile that you have on that computer.

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 06:26:18 AM »
Hi Brian,

I just returned from the shed where I was able to capture screen shots of the error message.

I was able to create the error by the following sequence:

1.  Load Mach3 with the profile that I posted recently.

2.  Load the G Code program attached to this post.

3.  Switch on the mill.

4.  Go to the MDI screen.

5.  Issue the MDI command "M3 S1500"

Regards

Chrisjh