Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:23:42 AM

Author Topic: mach 3 to 4  (Read 2258 times)

mach 3 to 4
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
Hello,

got two questions on mach 3 to 4 changeover.

1) do I need to download the parallel port plug in to go from mach 3 to mach 4 hobby?
    I'm running a Xylotex motion controller that has a parallel port input.

2) the profiles created in mach 3 will not work in mach 4?

Thank you!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: mach 3 to 4
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 02:15:22 AM »
Hi John,

The Mach4 recommended requirements are...

PREFERRED: 32 or 64-bit Laptop or Desktop – Using an External Motion Controller
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 & Windows XP
An appropriate external motion controller
Mach4 Plugin for the selected Motion Controller
2Ghz CPU
1GB RAM
Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

*Use of Parallel Port for machine control only with desktop style computers with 32-bit versions of windows 7 and below.

32-bit Desktop – Parallel Port Recommended Requirements
32-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin (cost applicable)
2Ghz CPU
1GB RAM
Non-integrated Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Yes you are correct the Mach3 profiles do not work with Mach4.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
thanks Tweakie.  can i ask you to once again address computers that are compatible but do not have a separate video card, having instead "integrated" video?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:41 AM »
thanks Tweakie.  can i ask you to once again address computers that are compatible but do not have a separate video card, having instead "integrated" video?

I suppose it depends on the RAM available to the integrated video and the size (graphics complexity) of the particular Gcode file being run but...
Large Gcode files may suffer problems which can generally be overcome by switching off the Mach3 Toolpath Display or by fitting a separate Graphics card with greater (perhaps 1 GB or so) RAM memory. My choice would be to just fit a PCI graphics card.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
Hi metlcutr55,
I'm using a dual core Atom single board computer for Mach4. It is well short of recommended specs and
uses the Intel integrated video that smurph described as 'hideous'.

It works fine. Where it does fall down is when you have to load large files. Some of my PCB etch files are up to
5Meg and waiting for them to load requires lots of patience. Once loaded they cut just fine. If you have 3D routing
files of 100's of Megs DON'T use such a miniscule platform, for ordainary milling files however its fine.

I have a licence for my laptop (2GHz i7,16G RAM) which I have used to control my mill from time to time; aside from
loading large files VERY much faster it makes no difference at all, the machine cuts no faster or smoother. It might be
the laptop can keep the buffer full or close to it by comparison to the Atom but I've noticed no difference.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'