Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:22:22 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 in Windows 10 needs Windows 8 Compatibility Mode  (Read 3783 times)

Mach 4 in Windows 10 needs Windows 8 Compatibility Mode
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »
Mach4 is almost Windows 10 compatible... at least for me.  It runs great the first time after installation, but won't restart after once exiting it. Windows says the task is running... but Mach is not visible on the screen... I just see the desktop as it was before I started Mach.  If you try to start it again, you get the message that Mach is already running.

Solution:  Before you start Mach the 1st time (or just restart Windows) right click on the Mach4Mill (or whatever flavor you're using) icon on your desktop, and select "Troubleshoot compatibility".  Windows will analyze the Mach4 program. Then select "Try recommended settings".  It will recommend Windows compatibility mode: Windows 8.  Select "Test the Program".  Mach4 comes up just fine (a couple loading warning messages may be seen... but they say the operation completed OK).  Now exit Mach4, and you are back on the troubleshooting window.  Click on "next", and select "Save these settings". 

Now just click on Mach4Mill, and it starts up normally every time. Hope this helps somebody else!
Re: Mach 4 in Windows 10 needs Windows 8 Compatibility Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »
I have not experienced this running Windows 10.

What motion device are you running?

Could you try this with the motion device set to Simulator and your regular
motion device disabled in the Config > Mach > Plugins dialog?

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »
Steve...  I ran into this in demo mode with the simulator and with the PMDX plug-in. Did a number of installs today to verify the problem and the fix.  I also  installed the same version today in a fresh Windows 7 and had no problems at all.  That led me to try the compatibility troubleshooter in Win 10, which solved the issue for me.  (Also, I did both of these as VMware virtual machines on a Mac...so there is a small chance that was a factor. In actual use I'll have a dedicated Windows PC).

And hey, I found your site very helpful on Mach4 system requirements.  Looking forward to trying out a PMDX 424 with my ClearPath servos.

Ray
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:51:26 PM by bru102 »
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:14 AM »
Hi Ray,
I have found that if Mach does not shut down properly then it will fail to restart. Often times it is not obvious that a component
of Mach is still running.

I now routinely have the task manager on the task bar so I can determine if a module is hung up, quite a common event when
writing/ debugging LUA code.

I use Windows8 on my laptop for experimenting and coding but Windows7 Embedded on my machine. I've never really encountered
a situation where the OS affects how Mach runs.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 04:00:50 AM »
As a Mac user. ( ok the windoze pc is only for the mach4 mill )

If you are using VMware or parallels you will run into trouble with windows with certain problems , the only way to run. Windows on a Mac is to use boot camp and install windows natively with no emulation the you get with the virtual machine

Note boot camp is a no cost option as it comes with the os only cost is the licence for windoze
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 01:14:20 AM »
Hi, I have installed Mach4 on Windows 10 (as a trial) with the thought of purchasing, but it wont start.  I get Mach4Router profile up and then nothing when I double click the icon.  I have rebooted, re-installed, used compatibility mode Windows 7 and 8, but it just wont start.  Obviously I will not be purchasing if I cant even get the trial to work.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 01:24:30 AM »
Hi,
you say that you have a Mach4 Router profile.....but you have not had Mach4 running?

If that is the case then that profile is probably just some generic profile that ships with Mach.

May I suggest try to find and use the Mach4 Loader icon instead. When you use it a window will appear asking you to
select the profile you wish to use, by all means select the Router profile if you think that is likely to suit your machine.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 01:30:30 AM »
Hi,
try opening the Mach4Hobby folder and start Mach4 by clicking on Mach4GUI.exe.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 03:08:02 AM »
hi all and thanks for the reply.  I just found out what the problem was.  My antivirus software (Bitdefender) was preventing Mach4GUI.exe from running.  As soon as I gave this file access, all is good now.

Thanks again
Dean