Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:39:44 AM

Author Topic: A axis kaput  (Read 2381 times)

A axis kaput
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
Okay, I built my cnc router 6 years ago and it has worked perfectly...until today!  So now I have to relearn everything over to troubleshoot.  My A axis, slaved to the Y, seems to be dead.  I can switch Y and A cables and the gantry runs from whichever side I plug into the Y axis port, so I inclined to look at the electronics.  Before I tear into the whole drive wiring I did notice something that might be perfectly normal, but odd.  When I go to the diagnostics page and try to reference the Y axis, the numbers don't change for the A axis.  Are they supposed to??  Likewise, when I "unslave A from Y and try to reference the A axis...nothing.  Seems like it should be moving like the rest do???

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: A axis kaput
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 03:01:24 AM »
It’s not clear what do you mean by “…I can switch Y and A cables and the gantry runs from whichever side I plug into the Y axis port…”

But a friend had a similar problem and he discover that a metal sliver had got into the A axis cable (he has cables carrier) and worked its way inside the cable shorting the wires. Worth checking the cables carefully
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
What I meant was that I can switch the cables to the motors and both motors work when connected to the Y drive and neither work when connected to the A drive.  My original question goes unanswered: from the diagnostic page (window) when I signal Y axis movement, are the numbers for the A axis supposed to change as well??

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:26:59 AM »
when I signal Y axis movement, are the numbers for the A axis supposed to change as well??

No, just the Y axis.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
Okay, thanks!  Must be the drive electronics...