Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:34:55 AM

Author Topic: Move Mach 3 To Another Computer  (Read 8796 times)

Move Mach 3 To Another Computer
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:19 AM »
I'm a new user - I've been using Mach 3 on a CNC Mill, after it was set up for me by someone else.

The PC Mach3 was set up on is having some problems (locking up after cutting a few parts, causing me to lose my zero and have to start over with the wobbler).  So I put another PC together and I am trying to transfer Mach3 to the new PC.  (Old PC is Win XP, new PC is Win 7 32 bit, by the way - using the parallel port on each)

After looking through this forum, I copied the Mach3 folder, put it on a USB drive, then pasted it into the C: drive on the new PC.  I ran the driver test, which I assume installed the driver.  The test said the PC is excellent (although the screen did say the pulse was too low for a moment).

When I start Mach3, click Reset, start up the CNC controller and the CNC mill - I press the X, Y and Z keys on the keyboard to move the cutting head - nothing.  To be sure, I loaded the Gcode that I was using on the other PC - still nothing.  The cutting head does not move.

I am probably missing something important, but I'm not sure what that would be.  Hoping someone can offer some advice.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:52:37 AM by brobert834 »

Offline tony_m

•  10 10
  • Woodwind instrument maker.
    • View Profile
Re: Move Mach 3 To Another Computer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
Hi
It doesn't work to just copy the directories across on a usb stick. You would think it would but it doesn't.
You have to properly reinstall Mach3 from the install file. Download it anew if necessary http://www.machsupport.com/software/

The install program stitches together the necessary DLL files and sets up the connections to your parallel port without which the tool head won't move.

Hope this helps.
Tony
Denford Orac lathe and Wabaco mill running with Mach 3 on XP.
I wish I had gone with CNC years ago!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
HI Tony,

Thanks for the reply.  I did install Mach3 from an install file, then copied over the Mach3 folder to the new machine. 

I see the driver test wrote some files to the Mach3 folder.  Would it help if I post any of those files to the forum?

Offline tony_m

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
Hi
First thing to check is that you are addressing the correct parallel port.  Its the value entered in Port Setup and Axis selection and it need to match the LPT ID found in your Device manager. It won't necessarily be the same as on your old computer and that will stop it in its tracks.
If you have a look at Page 5.2 in the mach 3 Mach Turn manual it shows how to find it in your device manager/Control Panel screens on your computer. (Download if you haven't got that as you are using the mill version, but its the same problem. Sorry but I don't know where it is in the Mill manual but you might find it there.)

The other thing I would suggest doing is not moving ALL the files from your old directory, but only the one in your directory which is the .xml file. This one contains all your setups from your old Machmill. You may be overwriting important stuff put in place from the new install if you copy the whole old directory.

See if any of this helps
Cheers
Tony
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the advice.  I checked the LPT port in Mach3 - it matches the port in Windows Device manager - I checked the manual to be sure.  The manual suggests it is most often 0x378, and that's what it is on this PC and in Mach3.

I wonder if I should uninstall Mach3, reinstall, and copy only the xml file over to the Mach3 folder.

Thanks again for trying to assist!

Bruce

Offline tony_m

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »
I think that would be the best plan. After that I am out of ideas. I have had all the problems you have had but after sorting the reinstall and getting the port number correct mine started working.
Let me know ho it goes.
T
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Hi - still no go.  Can't get any movement from the mill after reinstalling Mach 3 on the new PC. Here is what I've done so far - I suspect I am missing something that is quite easy to deal with, since I am new at this. To refresh - objective is to move my Mach 3 license from an old Win XP computer (Mach3 was locking up on that PC) to a new PC running Win 7 32 bit. Since the mill does not move when I press the appropriate keys on the keyboard, following suggestions on the forums:

1) I uninstalled Mach 3 and reinstalled
2) Right clicked driver.exe and ran as admin
3) Rebooted
4) Ran driver.exe again
5) Copied mach3mill.xml and mach1lic.dat files from the old PC to the new PC
6) Old PC that Mach3 locks up on: Win XP SP3
    New PC Win 7 32 bit. Nothing on the PC but Mach3
7) Parallel port connection to controller
8) when I start Mach 3, click Reset, turn on the controller, turn on the mill -- I press the Z axis keys on the keyboard - no response

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruce

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:19 AM »
Hi Bruce,

I could be that your .xml file is corrupt and causing the problem.

If you attach your .xml file (the one from your current Mach3 folder) it is named <your profile>.xml we can check it for you.
Copy this file, rename it Bruce.xml and attach it using the Reply tab and Additional Options...

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »
Hi - thanks for looking at this!

I found several .xml files in the Mach3 folder:

Mach3Mill.xml
Mach3Turn.xml
Plasma.xml
Screen4.xml
Taig.xml

I renamed Mach3Mill.xml to Bruce1.xml and attached it to this post.   I assume you don't need the Taig.xml, Mach3Turn.xml, the Plasma.xml or the Screen4.xml files.

3 axis CNC mill, Parallel port connection, Win 7.  I checked the parallel port address in Mach3 and Win 7, and they match.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Bruce

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
Hi Bruce,

There is a chance that Mach3Mill is the wrong profile for your machine.

Could you attach the Taig.xml (copy and rename it to Bruce2.xml) and I will check that one.

Tweakie.
PEACE