Author Topic: Mach3 reads in cm and not in mm in Gcode file...  (Read 3919 times)

Offline keithstanley

• View Profile
Re: Mach3 reads in cm and not in mm in Gcode file...
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 12:51:59 PM »
UPDATE TIME!!!   :) :) :)

I tried running MACH3 as Administrator and sadly that didn't work either...  :(

I am happy to report that I am almost 100% certain the problem was caused by either a Microsoft Security update OR a MICROSOFT .NET update.  >:(

I was suspicious of the updates because of what was happening on the PC, it took me a while to notice it....

I always pin the icon of a program I use often on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and for some reason the MACH3 icon had vanished when I first went to it to try to read the values , that is another question I have but I will come back to it after I solve this problem...

I looked at my updates and there were 4 updates that happened on Tuesday 13th March and that was when the problem appeared.  So I removed all 4 of them, I know I should have taken them out 1 at a time to identify the culprit but I rushed ahead and removed them all.  Now MACH3 will run without crashing but it looks a bit 'messed up' - it won't show me the Motor Tunings window so I have just removed everything and I am trying to 'clean everything up' so I can do a fresh install of MACH3, I will use the version you recommended Tweakie.

I will update later once I have reloaded MACH3. I just might be lucky enough to not have to perfomr a full machine reload  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline keithstanley

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
OK  :) :) :) :) :)

Another update, Everything seems to be OK now except the XBOX 306 controller.  So tonight I will get that operational again.

I have set the machine to warn me about updates and not to automatically install them so I will see which 4 are the ones I deleted and then I will ask around to see if anyone else has had trouble with them.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who gave me some of their time and read these postings and made suggestions. Without all of you I would still be flondering, you advice kept me on the correct path to solving the problem so

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!  :) :) :) :)

I do however now have the question I intended to ask you all before this problem occured....

With my old ACER PC, (Sorry I thought it had been a Dell but when I checked I see I was wrong),my 'steps per unit' were X-711, Y-711 & Z-1600 and the machine ran fine and very accurately.

Now with the new PC the 'steps per unit' were X-28, Y-28 & Z-63

Does anyone have any ideas why these numbers vary so much, was I simply setting every wrong before and now that I am using the MACH3 calibration system the settings are right or should I be looking at another setting to adjust?

Perhaps a setting on the Stepper driver?

Again a big THANK YOU to you all!!!!!

Offline joeaverage

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
Hi,
the difference between the two is 711/28= 25.4

Just happens to be the conversion factor between mm and inches. What are your native units?

Craig
My wife left with my best friend...
     and I miss him!

Offline keithstanley

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »
Craig, I just checked. I wanted MACH3 set to mm and it is....

So I previously must have had it set to inches even though Vcarve was set to mm, hmmmm.... Not to worry though it ran fine before.

Hopefully I will get time to run the machine tomorrow, I am busy all day already!!!!

Thanks again!!!

Offline TPS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
Hi,
the difference between the two is 711/28= 25.4

Just happens to be the conversion factor between mm and inches. What are your native units?

Craig

that was brilliant. 100% onto the point
anything is possible, just try it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.