Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:54:01 PM

Author Topic: 64bit ess mach3  (Read 4162 times)

64bit ess mach3
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »
After searching and getting more and more confused. I figure i better ask for help.
I am NOT a COMPUTER person. So please be kind.
Hard drive crashed. Installed new hard drive.
Lost MXL file
So fresh start ......what version of MACH3 do i need to download to work with ESS 64 bit system.
I do have a license for mach3 and bobcad.
I do have a friend with a very similar machine i can get his XML
Thanks in advance

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: 64bit ess mach3
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
The latest Mach3 version is R3.043.066 and can be found here http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/

XML files are specific to each machine. If your friend has exactly the same machine like yours you can try it but be carefull at the begininig to assure everything is identical. The XML is located in the main mach3 directory which typically is C:\Mach3

A lot of people do not understand computers. If in doubt just ask since there a lot of members here to help you
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
Thank you for your help
Harry
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
Are you familiar with The ESS , I was using one for several years before my crash.
As i recall it takes 64 bit windows to run. All the info I am gathering says Mach3 will only run on 32bit.
If my memory is correct I had to get a 64 bit Mac3 program to make the ESS work.
It has been a long  time, and memory fades with time.
Thanks
Harry
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
From the Warp9 website (manufacturer of the ESS board):

Ethernet SmoothStepper Description
Please visit our Products Page for a detailed capabilities chart.
The Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS) is a high-performance, 6 axis external motion controller for Mach3 and Mach4. Because it has a connector that conforms to the Parallel Port standard, it integrates seamlessly with most devices that the Parallel Port driver of Mach interfaces with. It accepts high-level commands from Mach and produces Step & Direction signals that are compatible with nearly all step & direction motor drivers (it also has a quadrature mode for high-end motor drivers, but those are not common). Because it is a dedicated hardware device, it is capable of producing pulses at very high frequencies and with extremely low jitter compared to the Parallel Port driver and microcontroller-based solutions. In addition, the SmoothStepper is able to run on any flavor of Windows, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Mach will run under 32-bit or 64-bit, but an external controller such as the SmoothStepper is needed for 64-bit editions.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
I never used ESS but I understand there are certain files to download and install to run ESS. If your friend also has ESS, just coping the XML may not install all required drivers and files to run EMS. You need to go to their site to download and install what is required. Perhaps this site may help you to get started but not sure if it is the only one or the right one as I’m not familiar with ESS.
http://www.warp9td.com/index.php/documentation/doc-ess#Overview

Mach3 does not come in 64bit and it’s confirmed by the previous thread. ESS will run with either 32 or 64bit operating system

Just give it some time and other members familiar with ESS will chime in to give you a hand
Nicolas
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »
Thanks for all the support and help.
Harry

Offline Myk3

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:32:29 PM »
I am currently using a ESS on a x86 machine. Although Mach 3 is capable of running on an x64 windows system, just not using the parallel port. When using MACH 3 on a x64 bit system a controller of some sort needs to be used.. A ESS, a uc100, uc400, etc..

If you use an x86 windows machine (desktop) you can most likely add in a cheap parallel addon card.. ($10). If you are using a laptop to run MACH3 and any variation of windows (x86 / x64) you will most likely need a external controller. A ESS, a uc100, uc400, etc.., unless you are fortunate enough to have a parallel port on the laptop..

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »
The recommended version for the ESS is 3.043.062.
.066 is buggy, and not recommended.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP and advice.
I have all the software loaded and looking good.
I do not have any stepper movement, however my PMDX shows pulses on output ,,and the screen shows values going up and down , so i must have something wrong with ports and pins config or something disabled to let the GECKO drives to fire off ( drives are green with no pulses while i ask for movement.)
It looks like the pmdx is asking for movement and it is not making it to the drives.
Man I am thankful for this forum and the kind people on it.
Harry