Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:44:56 AM

Author Topic: Hobby/Industrial and Profiles  (Read 4188 times)

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Hobby/Industrial and Profiles
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:00:03 PM »
So I am new to Mach4, long time Mach3 user. I have a hobby license and have my mill all setup and working with an ESS. I also have an industrial license. I'd like to use the profile from the hobby version and not have to reset everything up, same machine, same ESS. Can I do that? If so, is it as simple as copying the profile or do I need to package it in hobby and restore it in industrial? Or do I have to suck it up and start from scratch?

While I have your attention!

Are *.m1s macro files usable in Mach4 or do I need to start from scratch with those, in Lua?

I have an old PoKeys 55. In Mach3 I wrote brains to access the buttons and SRO/FRO pots wired to the PoKeys 55. No brains in Mach4, so does the Pokeys Plugin just let you use the PoKeys as Inputs in Mach4 or what? I haven't tried yet, working up my courage. Just thought I'd ask.

Feeling pretty dumb again, it's a lot different here!

--
Tom
Re: Hobby/Industrial and Profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
Just getting started with Mach4 myself.

I can only answer one of your questions.  The m1s will have to be converted. :-\

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »
The best thing yo do would be to package the profile up in your hobby installation and import it to your Industrial installation. 

Brains were replaced by LUA sripting in the screen's PLC script or by using the PMC (Programmable Machine Controller), which is a ladder logic front end.

Steve
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
I think your Hobby profile should run fine in Industrial. No harm in trying.

If you had custom macros or screen sets you will need to take extra
steps to move those over.

The macro files from Mach3 will not work in Mach4. Mach4 macros
need to be in LUA. While it might be possible to use other languages
including Basic, it would require significant skills and an understanding
of how the chosen language binds to DLLs.

The Mach4 system does not use the Mach3 style Brains. Instead it
uses a real Ladder Language sub-system call the PMC. It runs like
an internal soft PLC. It is more stable and has far better editing
features.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »
I think your Hobby profile should run fine in Industrial. No harm in trying.

If you had custom macros or screen sets you will need to take extra
steps to move those over.

Thanks, about what I figured.

Steve S., you say if I had custom macros or screen sets I would need to take extra steps to move those over. Do you mean from Hobby to Industrial or do you mean Mach3 to Mach4. I suspect Hobby to Industrial. Fortunately I just installed and setup Hobby on Sunday, so nothing fancy there. I was one of the original Mach4 purchasers with the option to get Industrial so figured why not. But I'd like to know what might be "extra steps" in moving custom macros or screen sets from Hobby to Industrial. Can's I just copy the *.set file over or the macro?

I guess the real question should probably be, seeing as I have both, which should I stick with. I'm not going to run my basement machine for profit, but figured if I could get the Industrial version, why not, but perhaps flawed logic. What are the advantages/drawbacks of running industrial? One that dawns on me is the licensing restriction. If I spend a year getting Industrial all tweaked up and then lose a computer, all my effort is lost? If I could just move screensets, macros, profiles over to a hobby licensed install, not too big a deal.

I've read the doc on comparison, don't need tool life, don't need screw mapping, might use Professional Screen Designer, don't need Macro B, probably don't need Gcode editor included, probably won't use Fanuc Type C cutter comp long as I got used to NOT having it in Mach3. So I really might be better to just use Hobby and do all my stuff there and not have to worry.

Opinions?
--
Tom

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »
In your case, you can use either one, hobby or industrial.  If your PC on a machine with the industrial license that goes bonkers, we will work with you.  The main intent on the industrial licensing is that we would like to have 1 license per machine.  If your PC on that machine went bonkers and is no longer operational and you had to throw another PC on it, that would not be a conflict.

You say you don't need macro B, but you may like it.  Never know unless you try it.  :)  

You can move a Hobby profile to Industrial.  And then you can add in the industrial features to that profile.  However, once you do that, you really can't move that profile back to Hobby because the industrial features that you used simply won't be there anymore.  But about the only thing that happens is the industrial features disappear from the profile, so no biggie.  

If you have several machines, then I would think about putting industrial on you most capable machine and hobby on all of the rest.  You got it, might as well use it.  :)

As to copying the profile, if you package it up, then everything needed to run that profile is included (screen set, macros, tool table, parameters, etc...) with the exception of custom files that may be in the Modules directory.  

Steve

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »
I packaged up my profile in hobby, so I've got a *.m4prof file, but how do I get it into industrial? I don't see an "import" or anything?

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
The "import" function is in the Mach4Loader, not in the main program.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 04:59:16 PM »
Ach, that'll teach me to use a desktop shortcut with /p *********x!!

Thanks   :P
--
Tom

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 07:44:42 AM »
I packaged my hobby profile, imported it into industrial, copied my ESS plugin to industrial. ESS won't initialize in industrial. Is there a problem with the ESS plugin in Mach4 industrial? I don't think it's my imported profile, I created a new profile from the default industrial profile and the ESS won't initialize with that either. Hmmmm.......... ???
--
Tom