Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:29:50 AM

Author Topic: Spindle index  (Read 4819 times)

Spindle index
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:11:25 AM »
Re: Boxford TCL160

I read some posts back that spindle index pulse was no longer supported in Mach3 due to issues in 'Threading' Is this still the case.

The disc on my spindle has 100 holes on the inner circle and one hole/slot on the outer.  (See pic)

I am now generating pulse trains for each of the two Opto's which I can now input to my CM106 BOB

Can Mach3 now handle these, if so how is the setup achieved.

Thanks

George

One step at a time!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle index
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:09:44 AM »
A single slot is used for the index. There is no advantage to using a multi slotted disc and it's not supported.
Do not use  / enable any threading  diagnostics plug ins.
So only use the one slot on your disc.

RICh
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
Thanks Rich,
It was just that the two dual sensors were part of the original machine setup and I thought that they were essential in threading with Mach3
A new single sensor has been fitted and is working fine.

This of course doesn't mean that I cannot do threading operations I hope.

Would you recommend I move to MAch Hoppy ?

Many thanks

George
One step at a time!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:31:36 AM »
This of course doesn't mean that I cannot do threading operations I hope

You will be able to do threading. The more stable the RPM readout the better.

Would you recommend I move to MAch Hoppy
?

Are you meaning Mach 4 Hobby? That's a choice only you must make. Haven't  following it.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 01:03:19 AM »

I've installed a hall effect sensor on my spindle and the RPM's in mach3 match my hand held laser tachometer.  I've been attempting to adjust my index debounce value for almost a week.  The diagnostic screen shows an incredibly inconsistant index pulse.  It just refuses to stabilize.  I've even added a second magnet to lengthen the pulse to the system but it's just not reflecting a steady index signal.  Is this an electrical noise issue?  If this is the wrong thread please point me in the right direction.

This is a Sherline 4500 lathe, and my system debounce is set at 500 and the index signal is set at 10.

Thanks,

Gordon

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 05:10:03 AM »
I don't know what your doing but you only need one magnet for the  Hall sensor to work.
So get rid of the second magnet.

RICH

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
When you say the diagnostic screen shows an inconsistent index pulse are you referring to the LED?  If so you  need to disregard that, it can't update in real time.  Does the actual spindle speed DRO remain relatively constant?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »
Hi George,
lathe threading is largely enacted by the motion controller, not Mach.

I have been using Mach4 and an Ethernet Smooth Stepper for a year and its still not quite capable of lathe threading. The issue is not Mach4 but the
Smooth Stepper, the plugin is not capable of it yet. Large chunks of the code to get it to thread are written and in place but there is a bug. The expectation
is that the bug will be fixed over the next month or so.

To my knowledge only Vital Systems Hicon board is currently capable of lathe threading. I may be proven wrong and other manufacturers have got it working.
Still, the upshot is that the plugins required for Mach4 operation are still developing and lathe threading is at the leading edge of that development.
Mach4 will not advance your ability to thread with a lathe....yet.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:03 AM »
I don't know what your doing but you only need one magnet for the  Hall sensor to work.
So get rid of the second magnet.

RICH

HI Rich,

I connected a High Speed Optical Sensor to my mill and it is talking nicely to Mach3 thru the index pin, however it only reads the RPM speed on spindle startup then it just displays "0".
The RPM setting doesn't seem to be a factor, as it will quickly display speed to any RPM during spin up, but the goes back to "0".
I am going to replace the optical sensor with a Hall Effect sensor, but I'm just searching for any answers I can find.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:42:27 AM »
 Mark,

I'm just searching for any answers I can find

Answers to what?

RICH