Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:00 PM

Author Topic: CSMIO-IP/S or CSMIO-IP/A for a servo controlled router  (Read 6078 times)

CSMIO-IP/S or CSMIO-IP/A for a servo controlled router
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
I am planning to rebuild an old MultiCAM router to servo control. Now I start to realize that servo control is more than servo control. At least I have decided I want to use Mach 4 and a controller from CSMIO. But which should I use; the analog IP/A or the step/dir controller IP/S? Has any of you experience with setting up one of these with servo drives and can give me some recommendations? What will the drawback of a step/dir servo system be?

Which is the most affordable option, step/dir or analog control? Should I choose AC or DC servo? These are just a few of my questions. But anything that can point me in a direction is welcome.
Re: CSMIO-IP/S or CSMIO-IP/A for a servo controlled router
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:06:07 AM »
Hi Jorge,

I believe that the only reason anyone would choose the IP/A control is if they have existing servo amps that require analog control (+/- 10vdc). In your case, if you are choosing new servos and amps you will want to go with the more modern step/direction. I am not aware of any drawbacks with step/direction as compared to analog control. If you are selecting new servo motors and amps then consider AC or BLDC over brushed DC servos. Why have brushes in your servos that can wear out? I am not sure about cost however....

Good luck!
Mike

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
I did my bridgeport mill with an IP/A - a very nice robust unit.

I used AC servo's from China and they were all analogue 10-0-10v control.

Definitely go for AC servo - no power supplies to buy or build and a nice compact unit :)

Servo tuning is a difficult step but not impossible, the CSMIO comes with a basic tuning screen which is good.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »
I did my bridgeport mill with an IP/A - a very nice robust unit.

I used AC servo's from China and they were all analogue 10-0-10v control.

Definitely go for AC servo - no power supplies to buy or build and a nice compact unit :)

Servo tuning is a difficult step but not impossible, the CSMIO comes with a basic tuning screen which is good.

What ac servos are they,if I may ask?  Looking at retrofitting a Bridgeport Romi lathe that has 140v brushed servos. Just not sure if it's a good idea to use the old brushed servos and servo drivers. Haven't made my mind up between Csmio ipa or ips.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
I think it was this one...

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Servo-motor-and-driver-2-39N-M-0-75KW-3000RPM-80ST-AC-Servo-Motor-80ST/314742_760392877.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.JnQTI9

Good supplier.
Thanks for the link Dave. You say they are analog and work with the IPA? I haven't managed to get my lathe running on the old controller, so was a bit wary going for an IPA, only because I want to use the existing brushes servos that I haven't managed to test. At least if they are shagged, or, if the servo drivers are shot, the ac servos would be an option.  Sorry for the thread hijack
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »
I used the CSMIO/ IP-S and purchased DMM AC Servos from CNC4 PC. As far as tuning with the DMM servos not much tuning is needed. They ran out of the box like a champ. I did use the 400oz servos on a loader so not much mass to move and no changing load. They are very good quality at a great price. Lots of videos about the DMM servos on YouTube. If you have a separate PC you can monitor servo performance on the fly while running and tuning your router as well. Also the servo amps have an output for precision homing. The guys at DMM in Canada are very helpful as well. I had questions about the wiring and they responded to my email very quickly.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:31:52 AM »
dear Sirs,
i have a Biesse Rover 346 to retrofite and to replce the Old controller of RT480.

i dont want to replace the I/O moudle of the system and i want to try to control it by ModBus connection.
for the axes and spindles motions i want to use only CSMIO-IP/A without using any Digital OUTPUT/INPUT!!!

it means, i want to CSMIO-IP/ A and ModBus at the same time because i dont want to destroy the Original connections of the machine

is it possible??
please only persons with experince need to answer me or any body sure about the answer!!
regards
Ghantos