Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:19:55 PM

Author Topic: Jogging from a shuttle control via brain  (Read 3820 times)

Jogging from a shuttle control via brain
« on: February 14, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »
I have an old jog/shuttle wheel from a video recorder connected via PoKeys55 to Mach3.

I've got the jog wheel working as MPG1 without much difficulty - I aim to use that for very fine positioning.

I've written a brain to interpret the 4 inputs from the shuttle section - that seems to be working (have so far coded only the first 2 positions in each direction to prove the concept).  My problem is in what to set/trigger based on the interpreted shuttle wheel position.  I find the names for the various buttons, DROs etc. related to jogging somewhat cryptic.

I'd like to trigger a continuous jog which gets faster as wheel twisted further, which stops when wheel released.

So far I've not been able to work out a generic jog+, or jog- that I can set (to affect axis selected from screen - or buttons later). 

Slow Jog% seems to behave correctly when viewing the brain, but not when viewing the jog control on screen.

I'm getting frustrated - not entirely clear if some of the issue may be with the brain, or if it's all about choosing correct jog mode and settings.  Is there a very clear explanation available of the numerous jog related items within Mach3?

I'm familiar with control systems in general, but have limited experience with Mach3.
Re: Jogging from a shuttle control via brain
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:09:29 AM »
Some progress - I have the shuttle wheel triggering X+ jog, or X- jog (if in continuous jog mode), I also have the value of DRO3 being altered by the wheel as I twist it further -  shows up on screen. 

Unfortunately, the speed as indicated by the FRO display doesn't follow DRO3. 

So I think that either -
setting DRO3 isn't the correct thing to set to adjust jog speed
OR Jog speed can't alter once Jog is initiated ( I have tried including a JOG OFF, so that effectively the Jog signal gets toggled, but so far it doesn't seem to have any effect on the behaviour )
OR there is some other aspect of Brain behaviour that I haven't understood 'getting in the way'.
OR I've not understood Jog modes
OR JOG OFF isn't the right thing to use to cancel the Jog (so it can be re-triggered).

Any tips or suggestions welcome - I don't find the descriptions of the jog related controls very clear, which leaves me guessing exactly what some of them do.