Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:34:34 AM

Author Topic: Can this computer run mach3  (Read 15391 times)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Can this computer run mach3
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:06:47 AM »
You have a 3.3V PC, and your electronics may require 5V signals.

It actually says system excellent, with the green bar at about 50%.
One other thing that seems odd is the pulse rate shown on the diagnostic screen which varies from 1 to ~ 300

One big issue with the driver test is that it either fails, or says it's "excellent".
Varying by 0-300 is not excellent. Mine varies by 0 to about 4.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
Yes the pin numbering is reversed when compared to Mach3 manual, so the actual numbers are 2,4,6 and they are measuring at 0/3.3 volts depending on which (+/-) key is pressed. No idea what voltage the pins were at under W2000, I will have to check with computer shop as to whether XP or their repair might be responsible. It certainly ran reliably under W2000. I have not determined which pin controls spindle speed.

Malcolm- who is going out for the evening.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 12:38:11 AM »
Hi,
well your PC has 3.3V logic outputs, you will have to use a breakout board that can accommodate that.

Think we still need some details about the Driver Test, variation of 300 just doesn't sound right.
A screen shot or write it ALL down and post. If the driver test is not right then EVERYTHING you do subsequently is a waste of time.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »
Craig,
I cannot see how XP will change the pin outputs from 5v to 3.3v, is this possible. I have no idea what the pin voltages were under W2000 but the mill part of the electronics has not changed (unless it has blown a fuse somewhere). The spindle runs OK on manual. I have taken a photo of the Driver Test screen on my tablet but so far failed to get it onto the PC.  The pulse rate variation I gave was taken from the Diagnostics screen not the driver test display.

Malcolm

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
I cannot see how XP will change the pin outputs from 5v to 3.3v, is this possible.

No, this is dictated by the motherboard of the PC. If it's the same PC, then it was 3.3V before.

Are you measuring the step, or direction pins? You can't really measure the step pins, as they are quick pulses. Measure the direction pins for an accurate voltage reading.

It sounds like Mach3 is working, so if your drives are not responding, it may be a wiring issue.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 05:27:47 PM »
Today I checked with the computer shop who repaired my HP Invent and installed the XP system. I was told nothing they have done would alter the PP line voltages.
The battery had leaked but I was not told of any damage to the mother board.
Could of course be my setting up of port and pins, will check that again.

Malcolm
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
Well, After altering so many pin setting I am totally confused the z-axis will drive downwards with G0 Z-2 but will not drive back up??.
The X and Y axis do not respond. It now looks as though it is not the voltages on the parallel port that are the problem but probably the pin settings, and yes, I have read the manual.

Malcolm

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
More playing about with ports and pins and I now have X/Y/Z axis driving *one way* using the jogging keys and code in MPI screen.
Unfortunately the direction cannot be reversed using the same methods.

Can anyone tell me what is incorrectly set?
At least I have proved it is nothing to do with WindowsXP nor port voltages so it must be my setting up!

Malcolm
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »
Hi,
firstly I'm not sure about the assertion that the voltages are correct. To drive a stepper in one direction the step pin be logic
low, for most BOBs that means 1v or less. To drive in the other direction requires a logic high, in your case 3V or so.
If your BOB is expecting 5V inputs then 3V may be insufficient to signal the intention to drive in that direction. This fits with
what you've described. Whether that is the case or not is impossible to determine unless you post some information.

Take some screen shots or at least write what settings you have applied and post those. I don't have ESP, unless you give me
some information to work with....

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »
Craig, thanks for your interest, you are my only ray of hope at the moment.
Performance today gave same results as previously posted. Checked continuity on all pins of the P/Port cable and could find no fault.
Can you specify what data you would like to see and I will do my best to obtain it.
I am hoping to get a copy of windows 2000 but I am unsure whether that would provide a solution.
Are there special drivers that should be loaded for XP?

Malcolm