Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:35:19 AM

Author Topic: I/O card help  (Read 2499 times)

I/O card help
« on: February 05, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
I am electronically challenged so please be kind.

I bought a CNC control box several years ago for my DIY gantry style mill. It has a smooth stepper, soundLogic combo board and a FP-48 I/O board controlled by Mach3. The SoundLogic board inputs are totally used and connects to the Smooth Stepper port 1. I have attached a picture of the FP48 card. The db25 cable goes to port2 of the smooth stepper and the Q0 and Q1 control relays to my water pump and dust collector and work well. The two wires on the bottom right I believe are pulse width management wires to another card that sends signals to my VFD.

I want to hook up a probe for touch off. I have connected to I0 (lower right hand corner) a red an black wire. When I put a voltmeter on they register nothing. When I test for continuity it stays at 1. Can anyone tell my how I should be wiring this? Do I need jumper pins in J3 or J4 or ? I have asked the person who put this together but he has no clue what to do even though the box has worked flawlessly for several years and is well put together. Like I said I am an electronic idiot.

TIA

RT

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: I/O card help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
Can't find any info at all on the FP-48 using Google. Where did it come from?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:40:27 AM »
To use any of the optically isolated inputs (10 to 13) on the FP-48 they have to be provided with between +5 and +12 volts (+) connection and then they can be switched ON and OFF by taking the (-) connection to GND (active low signal to Mach3).

Connect your red wire to +12 volts then connect your black wire to GND and the FP-48 on-board IO LED should illuminate. You then need to set-up your probe operation.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:42:36 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
Craig and Tweakie, thanks for taking time to take a look at this for me.

Craig, I think this board is made at forest city electronics.  It is the only web presence I could find.  The unit was put together by Bob Campbell Designs.

Tweakie, that Drawing reminds me of lot of those I saw on temples a few years ago in Luxor Egypt!

I see that the photo came in upside down so my references are incorrect.  After removing the top left wires the lettering reads PW In with +V and 0V above it and I get 12 volts accross them.  

I am trying to install this probe:

http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=80

It takes 3-24 volts.  As you can see in the photo the +5V led is lit.  Not sure what that means.  Can I tap off that for current?

TIA

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:19:45 AM »
It takes 3-24 volts.  As you can see in the photo the +5V led is lit.  Not sure what that means.  Can I tap off that for current?

No.

As explained earlier, on your FP-48, the 10(+) terminal is connected to +12 volts (which is already available on the FP-48) and the 10(-) terminal is your probe input. Follow the instruction that come with your probe to connect it all up.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »
tweakie and Gerry,  thanks for your help,

I can code in cobol, fortran, C, C++ and Oject Pascal, but I can't read Sanskrit, Hieroglyphics or Schematics!   ;D

Finally risked creating some blue smoke and connected the FP48 PW IN +V to the I0+, Connected another wire to the PW IN 0V to one of the probe wires and then connected the
other probe wire to the I0 -.  No smoke!  I0 is pin 13 so set Mach3 probe to port2(smooth stepper 2nd 25 pin)pin 13 active low.  When probe is tripped the probe LED comes on and the Mach3 probe LED lights as well.

I hate circuits, they make me feel stupid. :P

Thank you guys for your patience. 

RT

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:24:02 AM »
I am pleased to hear that you have it sorted.

Tweakie.
PEACE