Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:48:27 AM

Author Topic: inconsistency in Z axis  (Read 11126 times)

Re: inconsistency in Z axis
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
I will take it apart later today and take some pictures. It is a home build with a lot of "opportunity" to improve
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Unless the pillow block is a press fit on the screw all it is doing is supporting the screw radially and not axially.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
It has two set screws on it
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »
I just checked a few sites and that style of pillow block is really designed to take radial loads. It is not really designed for axial loads so some end play is normal.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »
I'll have to look into what the usual method of control is
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:27 AM »
I cut a shoulder into the lead screw at both ends of the Z axis on my machine. Secure mounting of the pillow bearing blocks serves to form a "Clamped" lead screw. The only "Play" left is in the recirculating ball bearing nut assembly of the Z itself. I did have to experiment with different "Shims" in mounting of the pillow block bearings until I achieved movement without any binding. Also, I used the set screw hole of the coupler as the guide for where to drill an indendation into the lead screw into which the set screw is locked.  Never had any slippage since! Engravings in particular require precise repeatable movements to within .001" I realize this post is almost a year old, but perhaps anyone else who may be building their own machine, may benefit from this comment. Have a blessed new year!