Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:36:14 AM

Author Topic: Mill Problems  (Read 2826 times)

Mill Problems
« on: February 01, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
I am using Mach 3 with a generic Chinese 6040 mill. The only trouble is that the Z axis erratically stops and makes a loud hum and then changes direction. It cannot jog up and down, after about half a second it will do that hum and then change. I tried getting a new stepper motor and even changed the stepper motor driver, but none of these seem to fix it. Is it a problem  with the machine or Mach 3?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:27:40 AM »
Try reducing the Velocity and Acceleration for the Z axis in Motor Tuning by 50% then save the changes.

Does this make any difference ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 02:34:13 AM »
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion, with no luck. This is what the motor is behaving like, after the change. https://youtu.be/79D-a9TSSp8

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 03:19:42 AM »
Try increasing the pulse length a little in motor tuning.

I presume the motor controller is one of the all-in-one boards? If not then check the connection to the direction input on motor drive.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:50:52 AM »
I will adjust the pulse length, and let you know how it goes. As for the board, each motor has its own control board, which is then linked to the CNC board, which is linked to the PC. I have a picture of the internals of the controller if you want a better idea of what I mean.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 04:11:52 AM »
Pictures are always good :)

if there are separate drives thats good, there must be a direction signal line - this is where i would start after the pulse length change.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 02:47:49 AM »
Would you have any recommendations as to what to change the pulse too? I am very new with milling/CNC machines, so all the help, in baby talk would be very much appreaciated

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:04:25 AM »
Obviously not all stepper motor controllers are the same but (having looked at your video) it would be unusual for a stepper motor to change it’s rotational direction whilst the controller is receiving a continuous stream of step pulses (this is determined by the set-up timing between step and direction pulses).
My guess is that your data communication between the PC and the controller is being interrupted. Probably the most common cause being bad wiring or bad plug / socket connections. Thoroughly check all your connections and wiring, including inside the control box itself (plenty of Chinese electronics comes complete with solder blobs and dry solder joints).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 03:07:41 AM »
Thanks Tweakie I can post a video of the internals. Being bad with mills. but good with electronics, I have opened it and it seems not THAT bad, for a Chinese mill. Ill get a link to some pictures and a video soon.

I've finished work for the day, so I'll be in the shop for the next 4 hours or so if you want anything else.

*edit* do you have a Kik or something I could add you on to allow instant messaging/photo video streaming
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:20:23 AM by samyy »